Taking of my CPC

can any body give me some advice on taking my cpc. i think i am going to need all the help i can get.
i have been driving 7.5 tonners for a few years now and i still dont know all the rules and regs. what i need to know is will this affect my chances of getting it or will i learn every thing i need to on the course

1st of all welcome to TruckNet! :smiley:

I take it you are only doing your national CPC! are you doing it class based or corrispondance? they is a massive diference!

if you have been driving 7.5 tonners you should know the Tacho law that will help!
You will learn everything on the course but most of your learning will be home work because it is a lot to take in depending on your course lenth!!

Give us more info about the course you sre on and we will try give you some tips on the best way to pass it

best of luck anyway!!

Hi Yogi and welcome to TruckNetUK

Anyone can take their CPC even 7 ½ ton drivers :wink:

There are two popular ways of doing it either with a 5 day intensive course or a home study course. There are now 3 modules to the course (national)

Module ‘A’ covers things such as the structure of law, company law, Social legislation, Health and Safety Business and financial management. Vehicle costing, banking as well as Speed limits, traffic offences and powers of vehicle inspectors. (to name but a few)

Module ‘B’ covers such things as Operator licensing, vehicle taxation, drivers hours, vehicle insurance, Vehicle weights, STGO, Vehicle selection, plating and testing, type approval, The list goes on.

The examination for both A+B is carried out by means of multiple choice questions.

There is also a written section which will give you a chance to put what you have learnt in the other modules into a case study.

If you wish to take your international CPC then there is a further section covering this syllabus.

Examinations take place 4 times a year and are normally carried out at a local collage of further education.

There is a Croner publication ‘elements of road transport management’ which is particularly good for anyone wishing to take the CPC

Hope that helps, if you decide to do the CPC and are unclear on anything then a posting on the webs No.1 website for drivers www.trucknetuk will put you in the picture.

Go for it and good luck!

Phil

the course is 34 wks long at college for 2 hrs per wk. as far as i am aware it is just the standard uk course.

thanks to the people who have given the advice so far.

the module consistes of :- module study packs covering the requirement of the national road haulage modules 1,2 & 4 (national) is also the core unit for international road haulage & P.C.V C.P.C.
it is an external exam, and the aim of the course is to meet the needs of people in the transport industry in relation to law, finance & management units.

just a quick question…how much is the course costing you to do? i am considering doing one too…

A very good place to start as well as THE book to have if you are doing a CPC can be found here.

kogan-page.co.uk/asp/bookdet … p?key=3191

David Lowe is The authority on transport management & law.