WTD

hi all, i seem to get some what confused with this wtd, example due to being half asleep the other day, i was on a loading bay, i started work about 1.15am so the six hr rule would mean that come 7.15am a brk is needed for working time.

took approx 25 min on dock cuz got called to do some work.

and took 30 min on rtn to base about 10.30am, got grief from transport office due to 25min brk, and 30 min brk at base. tot = 55min brk

if working over 9hrs, can wtd brk be worked like this - 30min then 15 min = tot 45min

or doing 15 min slots etc.

my norm i take a hr a day, 30 - 30 etc, but being new agy/driver this company i do a bit of work for run a very tight ship, even pick u up for toilet brks etc.

any advice would be helpful

thanks

I think its 30 mins brk at 6 hours not 25 so you broke the rule anyway

You can’t make your break up using 15min breaks if you are working to EU rules which i would imagine you are.It has to be a 15 followed by a 30.

As for being pulled up about toilet breaks,i’d tell them to drive their own motor!

You seem to be mixing WTD rules and Tacho rules up.

WTD - 15 mins break after 6 hours work

Tacho - 45 mins break after 4 1/2hours driving. can be split into a 15 and a 30 but not the other way around (if you get what I mean)

I’m sure one of the regs guru’s will be along shortly

Well i am looking at the WTD book and a example given is.

4 hours other work + 2 hours driving triggers a break (30 minutes in this case) under Working Time Regulations. Another 3 hours work (9 hours in total) and another 15 minute break is needed under working time regulations. Total breaks = 45 minutes

So a 15 min rest is not enough as he as done 6 hours ?

Davnic:
You can’t make your break up using 15min breaks if you are working to EU rules which i would imagine you are.It has to be a 15 followed by a 30.

As for being pulled up about toilet breaks,i’d tell them to drive their own motor!

WTD Breaks can be taken in 15 minute blocks, i.e 15 minutes during the 6 hours then 15 minutes when the 6 hrs is up, a further 15 minutes would be needed @ 9 hrs unless you took a 30 minute break at 6 hrs then you’ve complied with the regs as youve completed 45 mins when working 9 hrs or more

WTD breaks of 15 minutes can be used towards the 45 minute Tacho break, providing your second tacho break is 30 minutes.

Cheers Davey, I am a little rusty on WTD, yes it is 15 mins upto 6 hours work, 30 mins (total) over 6 hours and 45 mins (total) over 9 hours IIRC

This was posted in answer to a similar question, but it means the same here.

Coffeeholic:

dangerousdave:
yeah thanks, I thought that the 30 mins work break could only still be classed as 15 mins tacho break if taken first

Which is a good reason to just take 15 minutes at 6 hours if you want to crack on. It’s also why the WTD only requires 15 minutes break at this point so it aligns with the tacho regulations.

dangerousdave:
You know what the grapevine is like.

Yep, full of nonsense such as you need 30 minutes at 6 hours. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Thanks all for your replys so far. Just that it states under WTD 6hr rule - min 30 min Brk, so doing a 15min goes against what regs state, that is were i seem to get mixed up a bit.

im aware of drive regs, 15 - 30 min for 4.5 hr rule.

but following mixed work WTD- and doing a 30min - 15min = 45 min tot, dont seem right as for driver hr rule 2nd brk must be at least 30min long.

so overall what would be legal?

thanks for helping a confused head out, lol

viking121:
so overall what would be legal?

Start and upto 6 hrs 15 minutes can be taken

At 6 hrs a further 15 mins can be taken but only one can be counted towards 45 mins as second Tacho break must be 30 mins

The RTD requires;

• that mobile workers should not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.

• If working hours total between 6 and 9 hours a day, a break of at least 30 minutes is required.

• Working time should be interrupted with a break of 45 minutes if working hours total more than 9 hours a day.

The red section is the important part here.

Thats what i said ■■

deleted

01.15 to 07.15 = 6 hours but he has already had 25 minutes which is 15 + 10

So even if he had driven solidly from 07.15 until 10.30 it could only have been 4h.15 driving so no break due.

so in a shift of 9h.15 he has had 55m break.

The reason he gets a bollocking is because he has had 10 minutes too long on the toilet

tony66:
Well i am looking at the WTD book and a example given is.

4 hours other work + 2 hours driving triggers a break (30 minutes in this case) under Working Time Regulations. Another 3 hours work (9 hours in total) and another 15 minute break is needed under working time regulations. Total breaks = 45 minutes

So a 15 min rest is not enough as he as done 6 hours ?

Looking at the RTD(WTD) regs is one thing - reading what they ACTUALLY say is another !!
I know, I made the same type of error - many times !!
Have another read and see if you can see where it says that a worker MUST take 30 mins at 6 hours?
It does say that a worker cannot do more than 6 without taking a break AND it says that each break must be at leats 15 mins.
What a lot tend to get confused with is the TOTAL amount of breaks required for a certain length of WORK done in a shift and the amount of time a worker can do without taking a break.

WORK = driving & other work added together - POA and breaks do not count.

GENERAL NOTE -
YOU don’t have to worry about working out the 17 or 26 week 48 hour average - your EMPLOYER does and it’s them that get it in the neck if it’s wrong.
YOU have to watch the RTD(WTD) 6 hour WORK rule (that’s driving & other work added together) as you cannot WORK more than 6 hours without having a 15 min break - again, you probably won’t need to worry about that as the tacho breaks count for BOTH the tacho regs AND the RTD(WTD) regs

a transport manager/assistant told me after stressing my case, that a brk of no less than 30min is what was required at 6hrs WTD of working, and not the 25min i org took, as i used to do a 15 - 30min.
just doing some agy work and the contract im doing they scarry on like their sh** dont stink. lol.

thanks to every one

who took the time to reply.

viking121:
a transport manager/assistant told me after stressing my case, that a brk of no less than 30min is what was required at 6hrs WTD of working, and not the 25min i org took, as i used to do a 15 - 30min.

I would suggest to him that he put what you did into an analysis machine and see what it says :bulb:

deleted

I think you will find that the WORKER will only get done if they fail to follow advice given by the EMPLOYER.
Breaches will be brought to the attention of the EMPLOYER who, in turn, informs the WORKER of certain changes so that they BOTH conform to the weekly average.
It would be ‘unreasonable’ for us simple WORKERS to be mathematicians so that is why the EMPLOYERS are tasked with it - they have the offices and computers as well as the fact that they organise the workload.

deleted