Driving Hours

Don’t know if this has been asked before, and it may seem obvious, but I don’t know the answer so I’ll ask :smiley:

I know the basic tacho rules e.g. 4.5 hours max. continuous driving, 45 mins. break etc., but if I drive, for example, from 9.00 to 9.50, then 10.00 to 10.50 and 11.00 to 11.50 with the engine switched off and me out of the cab for each of the 10 minute stops, does it count as 3 hours driving or 2.5 hours :question: :question:

In other words, does unloading/loading count as driving hours for the purpose of the men from the ministry :question:

BTW I understand that I can take 15 minute breaks and that less is not a break, just is it still driving :question: :exclamation:

Hope I’ve made myself clear - I am an expert at waffle :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Gardun, the 10 minutes you are out of the cab is other work, not driving. So the answer would be 2.5hrs.

You are correct by saying that a break of less than 15 minutes is not a break :exclamation:

If you are doing multi drop like this you just have to remember to keep an eye on your hours. With an automatic tacho you dont need to remember to alter the mode each time you stop.

I would advise getting a DD hour guard and get into the habit of using it though.

Davey, Commission to my account please :stuck_out_tongue:

If it is serious multi drop stuff just set a time for your break and stick to it. I worked for United Carriers in the dark ages and we had anything up to 100 drops a day. I used to just take my lunch break after 4 hours work

Wheel Nut:
I would advise getting a DD hour guard and get into the habit of using it though.

Davey, Commission to my account please

■■■■, you beat me to that one Malc. :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Thanks guys - at least that’s sorted. I intend getting an hourguard - any discount for internet sales :question: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Good news and bad news - gotta take a trailer to Brum tonight. Ist time out and I don’t know if I can reverse :blush:

Only one way to find out :exclamation: I’ll try and stop in the services and have a play if there’s room!

gardun:
but if I drive, for example, from 9.00 to 9.50, then 10.00 to 10.50 and 11.00 to 11.50 with the engine switched off and me out of the cab

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Got to see this … :open_mouth:

Rob K:

gardun:
but if I drive, for example, from 9.00 to 9.50, then 10.00 to 10.50 and 11.00 to 11.50 with the engine switched off and me out of the cab

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Got to see this … :open_mouth:

OOPS :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

So that’s why my charts keep on coming out blank :exclamation:
Thinks I wonder if that’s where I go wrong reversing the artic :smiley:

Not much chance of finding space on a services on a night.

The legal definitions are.
Driving. “Being at the controls of a vehicle for the purpose of controling its movement, wether it is moving or stationary with the engin running.”
Dept of Transport GV262.
Breaks. “A period of at least 15 minutes during which time a driver may not carry out any other work. Waiting time & time not devoted to driving spent in a vehicle in motion, a ferry, or a train shall not be regarded as other work.”
Article 7 E.C. 3820/85.
So you may claim a break when you are waiting, but not if you are doing any other work, i.e. helping to load / unload. strapping down, refueling, getting paper work signed etc.
You may also put the tacho on break for less than 15 minutes, its just that youi cannot claim it as a break from driving.
Also do not forget that when you have accumulated a legal 45 minutes the 4.5 hours starts afresh regardless of how long you have driven for.
When stuck in stationary traffic I normally turn off the engine & throw the switch to break, & have been known to take a 45 minute break doing so.