One for Deisel Dave

If I collect a hazardous load from down south, my name and reg is entered on the delivery note (dgn) usually it is for delivery in the north the next day. As this usually involves passing our yard if I am running out of time I will stop there, now occasionaly our TM swaps the trailer to another driver to deliver.
Is the paperwork now invalid as it has my name/reg on it? also it is not altered to show the new name and reg.
Just wondering as I don’t want to be held responsible if something goes wrong as I signed for it.

Cheers

vwgpmk2:
If I collect a hazardous load from down south, my name and reg is entered on the delivery note (dgn) usually it is for delivery in the north the next day. As this usually involves passing our yard if I am running out of time I will stop there, now occasionaly our TM swaps the trailer to another driver to deliver.
Is the paperwork now invalid as it has my name/reg on it? also it is not altered to show the new name and reg.
Just wondering as I don’t want to be held responsible if something goes wrong as I signed for it.

Cheers

Hi vwgpmk2, To answer your question with good info, I need to ask whether you’re actually using a proper DGN? and, if so, why?
DGNs are usually required to be used for Multi-Modal transport eg. road/sea or road/rail etc.
If your journey takes place only by road, then you wouldn’t need a DGN, but instead you would use a ‘Transport Document.’

If you use a Transport Document, there is no requirement to enter a vehicle registration number.
The required info on a Transport Document is far less than you’d need on a DGN, so even if your firm uses a DGN as a Transport Document, the vehicle registration number doesn’t need to be mentioned. That will only hold good if your journey ONLY involves carriage by road, hence my question to you. :smiley:

If you can say what it is that you’re carrying, ie UN Number, PSN, Class and PG, plus the method of packaging and the total amount to be carried, I can give you an even better answer. :wink:

Cheers Dave
Will get some further info for you next week.

Dave it is a hazardous waste consignment note and my details are entered in part C (carriers cert) this includes my name and reg. Just wondered what would happen if another driver took the load out?

Type of goods varys, today it was old car batteries and old paint aerosols

Hi vwgpmk2, Ahh, that extra bit of info makes all the difference. :grimacing:

The vehicle Reg No MUST be entered on a waste consignment note.
If another driver/vehicle takes over the job, then the new details can be written nearby the old info.
If the driver is from a different waste contractor, then the rules are slightly different.

I’m assuming that you mean one of your mates on the same firm as yourself ?

Yes Dave it would be one of our drivers, just wondered what the implications were as with my name and reg on it, it would appear that I am signing to say i accept the load and it is secure, but having seen the way some of ours drive it wouldn’t suprise me if they shot it off the side of the truck and they would be the first to point out they didn’t load it or sign for it.

Cheers

vwgpmk2:
Yes Dave it would be one of our drivers, just wondered what the implications were as with my name and reg on it, it would appear that I am signing to say i accept the load and it is secure, but having seen the way some of ours drive it wouldn’t suprise me if they shot it off the side of the truck and they would be the first to point out they didn’t load it or sign for it.

Cheers

Hi vwgmk2, That seems to have cleared that one up then. :grimacing:

No mate, with it being a waste consignment note that you’re signing, the reason would be that you sign to say that you agree that the load is as stated on the note. Under the waste Regs, far more importance is attached to the accuracy of the description, ‘where from’ and ‘where to’ and amount carried than securing the load.

If the waste you’re carrying isn’t dangerous waste, then securing the load is more to do with compliance with the Road Traffic Act and C&U Regs than anything else.

:open_mouth: If the waste you’re carrying is dangerous waste, then there’s a specific dangerous goods offence of not securing it sufficiently/correctly as well as possible breaches of the RTA and C&U Regs. :wink:

Drivers who sign the dgn are a pain in the backside! The correct procedure is to travel on a transport document with a dgn attached if the goods are for onward international journey, signed by the preper, but NOT the loader or driver, as that has to be done at the load point when it goes in the back of my box. If you sign the dgn, i can’t as it is illegal to tamper with a filled out dgn and the recieving dock clerk will not accept the box. They’re even getting funny about faxed copies when the original has been tampered with and the person who prepped it is in carlisle, while the goods are being loaded in Basildon :imp: