low pay

can some one tell what the law say’s about minimum wage, as the firm i have just started driving lgv 1,for only pay’s fourty pounds a day. :frowning: [/b]

from http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/nmw/

THE NATIONAL MINIMUM WAGE JUST GOT BIGGER

The national minimum wage is an important cornerstone of Government strategy aimed at providing employees with decent minimum standards and fairness in the workplace. It applies to nearly all workers and sets hourly rates below which pay must not be allowed to fall. It helps business by ensuring companies will be able to compete on the basis of quality of the goods and services they provide and not on low prices based predominantly on low rates of pay. The rates set are based on the recommendations of the independent Low Pay Commission.

Main (adult) rate for workers aged 22 and over

£4.50 per hour from 1 October 2003

Development rate for workers aged 18-21 inclusive

£3.80 per hour from 1 October 2003

NB: The development rate can also apply to workers aged 22 and above during their first 6 months in a new job with a new employer and who are receiving accredited training.
To check on how the National Minimum Wage applies to you (or your staff), use the TIGER interactive website or telephone the National Minimum Wage Helpline on 0845 6000 678. This is also the number to ring if you think you are being underpaid and wish to make a complaint. You may also email the helpline from the Inland Revenue’s NMW website. All complaints about underpayment of the National Minimum Wage are treated in the strictest confidence.

so for £40 you should only work 8 hours and 52 minutes :open_mouth:

there are better paying jobs about :exclamation:

Hi Ace, Welcome to TruckNet,
I believe the minimum hourly rate for aged 22 and over is £4.50 per hour.Therefore if you are doing more than 8 hrs. and 52 minutes each day (£40 divided by £4.50) then your cheapskate boss is breaking the law. :confused:
In an industry plagued by employers who expect skilled professional drivers, who by virtue of passing the C+E test(and have usually had to pay for the training and test fees themselves) have proved that we are ‘a cut above’ the rest of the drivers on our evermore crowded roads,to work for a pittance is,well, just beyond comprehension.
You don’t say which area you are from.Surely there are other Class One jobs which pay more than £40 per day?
Perhaps you have only recently passed your test.Even so,You are worth more than £40 per day! :angry:
I’d advise you to start asking around,you are wasting your time working for this company.Look at it this way: with a £200 weekly topline, thats a takehome of what, £160 after tax and N.I. :confused: Would you ever be able to save for holidays -No.This years increased council tax?Unforseen car repairs?What if your rent or mortgage increased from present rates?
Send me a PM if you wish,I may be able to make suggestions for places or types of firms to try.Word of mouth always has been, and always will be, the best way of finding the best jobs in Transport,and indeed in any industry. :wink:

HOW MUCH!!!
Jesus…
Look for another job m8.
I work for a timber yard driving in surrey and local counties, dring a Ford Iveco 26T mgw class 2.
Do between 2 and 8 drops a day depending on distance and workload for just over £1500 a month. +ot and bonus.
Think the Guv is ripping the ■■■■ out of you and maybe he deserve his job being poked straight up his …ooooooohyeah!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

SPEECHLESS…FOR ONCE,… :open_mouth: