Agencies, double manning and discrimination?

OK
Agency calls me and says a client wants a driver, good news so far. They say the client never takes women drivers - u-oh, but thtis is because of double manning he says, and this is only a day run.
In the end, I don’t get the work… is it legal for a company to refuse to take on a woman driver in these circumstances?

allikat:
OK
Agency calls me and says a client wants a driver, good news so far. They say the client never takes women drivers - u-oh, but thtis is because of double manning he says, and this is only a day run.
In the end, I don’t get the work… is it legal for a company to refuse to take on a woman driver in these circumstances?

It isnt legal you have every right to take these to BOOK
We live in 2004 for gods sake! I would be running to the local advise centre! try get proof of what they tell you 1st.

You should OUT this company!

I feel very let down when you go to the PDA and ask the exact same question! and after 10 or so posts, where none of the persons have give you the correct answer :open_mouth: to your question apart from the guy who is a regular poster on Trucknet who quoted the law that is in indeed Illegal for anyone to employ a person because of their ■■■/colour/race …and soon to be age!

Why beat about the bush?

Trucknet have all the right answers!
and lots of real truckers opions!

Sod is it legal, it is not acceptable.
Name & shame.

Might not be right,but try and prove you did,nt get the job because of the reasons stated,dout you,ill find any. :exclamation:

The question asked on the PDA Forum by Allikat was different as you can see here

My agency just discussed with me a job. The client only wanted male drivers, because it’s double manned and possibly involved nights out. Can they disallow women drivers on that basis?

The CORRECT advice given by a PDA Trustee was …and I quote

Why don’t you post this message in the legal forum or give Mike Carless a call.
As a member of the PDA you can have FREE legal advice. You’ll find his number on the members discount section.

Henk

However well meaning it is intended, advice from an unqualified source is not to be mistaken with advice given by the PDA.
That is why we provide a service to our Members of FREE legal advice and ALWAYS recommend that they use it.

Pat

However well meaning it is intended, advice from an unqualified source is not to be mistaken with advice given by the PDA.
That is why we provide a service to our Members of FREE legal advice and ALWAYS recommend that they us it.

Pat

While it is true that being a member of the PDA Free legal advise may be available! as it is to everyone in the UK via most Solicitors or the C.A.B.

The question was asked for the Members opinion! Allicat is a very capable and clued up Trucker! and I am sure if she wanted Legal advise she would have asked one of the above!

My question note was that she got the answer from the biggest UKTruck site on the internet by persons who are involved in the Transport Industry full time why would she want to ask the same question again elsewhere
OK the question wasnt the same but it was in the same context!

But would that ‘advice’…hold up in a court case brought to fight the discrimination■■?

The question Allikat asked on here was…

Perhaps Critic, if Allikat had the confidence that she was getting the correct advice on this website then she wouldn’t have felt the need to ask the Professional Drivers Association their advice as well :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

I suggest you ask Allikat that question :wink:

Pat

double post!

Thecritic:

Pat:
But would that ‘advice’…hold up in a court case brought to fight the discrimination■■?

The question Allikat asked on here was…

Perhaps Critic, if Allikat had the confidence that she was getting the correct advice on this website then she wouldn’t have felt the need to ask the Professional Drivers Association their advice as well :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

Pat

I did!!! look up!!!
why you got involved I will never know! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Simple Critic.

I got involved for exactly the same reasons as you :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe we think alike :wink: :wink:

Pat

PS…this is still an OPEN forum isn’t it??

Pat

It is a open forum open to all members to see and post as it should be :smiley:
In a strange way yes may be we do think alike :open_mouth:

I only answered your question :exclamation: