Reduced daily rest, is this legal?

start drive at 0600,
total drive time, 10 hrs (4.5+4.5+1 hr) plus 2 hrs other work.
Finish shift at 1800 hrs.
Take Reduced rest of 3 hrs.
Drive again for 1 hr.
Take 12 hours rest.

Quite simply no. There’s no such legal thing as a reduced rest of 3 hours. You can have a split break which is at least 3 hours uninterrupted break WITHIN a 15 hour period and as such does not count as a reduced break.

From what you’ve written you have exceeded your daily maximum permissible duty time by one hour and also your maximum permissible driving time by one hour also.

Cheers mate, I had a feeling it wasn’t and that I was interpreting it wrong.
So in essence, I would need at least 9 hrs rest at the end of the 10 hr total drive time?

the maoster:
Quite simply no. There’s no such legal thing as a reduced rest of 3 hours. You can have a split break which is at least 3 hours uninterrupted break WITHIN a 15 hour period and as such does not count as a reduced break.

From what you’ve written you have exceeded your daily maximum permissible duty time by one hour and also your maximum permissible driving time by one hour also.

You can increase your daily drive time by an hour to 10 hrs max though as long as its not more than twice in any fixed week.
Quote: Daily driving period shall not exceed 9 hours, with an exemption of twice a week when it can be extended to 10 hours.

Gembo:
start drive at 0600,
Drive again for 1 hr.
Take 12 hours rest.

Confused !!
Start at 0600
Finish at 1800
So that is a 12 hour shift
That shift according to you was 10 hours of driving + 2 hours of other work = 12 hours
WHERE ARE THE DRIVING TIME BREAKS of at least a total of 1.5 hours :question:

Gembo:
Cheers mate, I had a feeling it wasn’t and that I was interpreting it wrong.
So in essence, I would need at least 9 hrs rest at the end of the 10 hr total drive time?

Once you’ve reached 10 hours driving your shift effectively is over, whether you’ve “worked” for 11.5 hours or 15 hours regardless, you simply cannot drive any more that day. You could however engage in non driving other work until you’d reached a maximum of 15 hours duty time. After that then yes you would need to take a minimum of 9 hours break before you could start another shift.

ROG:

Gembo:
start drive at 0600,
Drive again for 1 hr.
Take 12 hours rest.

Confused !!
Start at 0600
Finish at 1800
So that is a 12 hour shift
That shift according to you was 10 hours of driving + 2 hours of other work = 12 hours
WHERE ARE THE DRIVING TIME BREAKS of at least a total of 1.5 hours :question:

yeah, sorry for the confusion Rog, :blush: the two 45’s would be included in that 12 hours, in all probability, the total shift time would be about 13 hours total.

Gembo:
yeah, sorry for the confusion Rog, the two 45’s would be included in that 12 hours, in all probability, the total shift time would be about 13 hours total.

That confused me further
Perhaps you could post this set of facts
1 Shift start time
2 Shift finish time
3 Total driving time in the shift
4 Total other work time in the shift
5 Total break time in the shift
Numbers 3+4+5 should add up to the total shift time between 1 and 2

Start 0600
Drive 4 hr
Load 30 min
Break 45 mins
Drive 4.5 hr
Break 45 mins
Drive 1 hr.
Tip 30 mins
End shift 1800.
Rest 9 hr.
Not worried about the above, it was the split daily rest rule that I misinterpreted as I’ve never had to do it.[emoji106]
This is how it’s worded on the Returnloads.net website.
Quote:
A split regular daily rest period of 12 hours, taken in two separate periods, the first being a minimum of 3 hours and the second at least 9 hours. A reduced daily rest period, only if entitled, of a minimum of 9 hours uninterrupted (but not over 11 hours)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gembo:
Start 0600
Drive 4 hr
Load 30 min
Break 45 mins
Drive 4.5 hr
Break 45 mins
Drive 1 hr.
Tip 30 mins
End shift 1800.
Rest 9 hr.

Thanks

You had another 30 mins drive time available before a daily rest must start at 2100

A reduced daily rest is less than 11 hours, if you have a full 3 hours rest plus a 9 hours, this is not reduced rest and you can do it every shift for a year.

12+12=24
11+13=24
9+15=24

Thanks for the input fellas!