Ballsed up a split break

Evening all,

Due to being dog tired I did a stupid thing and decided to take a split break.
The reason it’s stupid is i got it are about tt and took a 32min break then a 17min break within 6 hours.
Carried on driving and a couple of hours later noticed the drive time hadn’t reset.
My total drive time was 3hrs 25min for the day.

Anyone know what sort of comeback I’ll get for this?? I take it it’s a break infringement but how serious?

Thing is my company downloads my card but doesn’t know how to view it. so it’s hard to track weather infringements are commited unless I pick it up myself. Usually do a daily printout and review when I get home.

So the first we hear about anything is notices from chartwise which arrive in the mail every 3 months so won’t hear about this for a while.

Yes I realise I ballsed the job up as it where just wanna know if I can expect a ruddy good financial rodgering, or worse… :open_mouth:

If I’m reading this properly then there is no infringement to worry about. You did less than 4.5 hours driving so you haven’t broken any rules there. If you worked for less than 9 hours on that shift, the breaks you did take will have satisfied wtd rules as well.

talknonsense:
If I’m reading this properly then there is no infringement to worry about. You did less than 4.5 hours driving so you haven’t broken any rules there. If you worked for less than 9 hours on that shift, the breaks you did take will have satisfied wtd rules as well.

I had it in my head that the 1st break must be 15mins and the second 30.

My day went as follows:

Card inserted 11:45
Drove for aproximately 2 hours, plenty other work perdiods inbetween (multi drop).
15:59 removed card.

16:31 inserted card into second vehicle.
Drove until 17:03 took a 17min break.
Bit more driving and fannying about multi dropping
Card Removed 20:15 and went home.

Do you think the change of vehicle could effect the reset?

As above ^^^^ but with my pedants hat on you are misunderstanding a split break. A split break is where you have at a minimum 3 hours unbroken break within your working day. If you manage that you can work for 15 hours without it counting as a reduced break.

The first break must be 15 minutes minimum followed by a second break of 30 minutes or more in order to reset your driving time. As it happens, you say your total drive time for the whole shift was under 4.5 hours so it’s irrelevant. The breaks you had didn’t reset your driving time but they did satisfy wtd rules so you’re fine.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

the maoster:
As above ^^^^ but with my pedants hat on you are misunderstanding a split break. A split break is where you have at a minimum 3 hours unbroken break within your working day. If you manage that you can work for 15 hours without it counting as a reduced break.

with my pedants hat on the OP is correct when he says splitting his break, you however have got break and rest confused

Ok Paul obviously I need to clarify what everyone else seems to understand; the o/p was talking about splitting a break but used the term split break, very similar language but two totally different things. I’m also very aware of the difference in law between rest and break and perhaps I was mistaken in believing that people would actually understand what I meant originally.

the maoster:

For what my opinion is worth I’d say a “split break” is 15 minutes followed by 30 minutes of break and a “split rest” is where you have 3 hrs unbroken rest allowing you to do a 15 hr day but not counting as a reducer.

bald bloke:

the maoster:

For what my opinion is worth I’d say a “split break” is 15 minutes followed by 30 minutes of break and a “split rest” is where you have 3 hrs unbroken rest allowing you to do a 15 hr day but not counting as a reducer.

Correct;

Break and rest are 2 different things as you’ve said.

I dont think vosa are bothered about wtd breaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A smart tachograph aint that smart, you have to tell it what you were doing between 15.59 and 16.31