Tacho law on empty trailer deliveries

If you operate a tractor unit solely for the purpose of delivering new/used trailers, never carrying goods, do you come under tachograph law?
Tach law applies to commercial vehicles over 3.5T GVW used for the carriage of GOODS for hire or reward. It wouldn’t be carrying goods, but would the trailer then be classed as goods?

Id guess it comes under restricted if the trailers are the property of the firm that hauls them, and dont charge, but standard if its a case of picking JBloggs trailers and getting £300 or whatever, to take it to a customer, thats me guessing anyway.

Mal.

The wording of the exemption is

Vehicles used for non-commercial carriage of goods for personal use

So, unless it is for personal use, or if you class the trailer as goods, then it is for a non-commercial purpose, otherwise you need to keep records.

That’s how I read it.

isnt the trailer goods?

I do this kind of work & Its dependant on a number of factors, but basiclly if its being moved by the company that owns it for the purposes of thier buisness & if they operate without the vehicles without the need for an operators licence then probably not, if any of the above is not met then yes.
But basiclly as far as the men at the ministry are concerned if your company do not need a operators licence then you probably do not need a tacho in the head, but that will need a prosecution to confirm it one way or the other.
Everyone I know uses a tacho on this kind of work as it keeps you totally legal & makes life a lot simpler when the law stops you. It also stops the pressure of you need to be there by…, can you just… etc.etc.
Incidently I do work for rental companys/dealerships.