Washing truck in my own time

Hoping someone can give honest answer to this,
For as long as I can remember myself and many others have freely and in our own time washed our trucks on normally a sunday.
Quite an event in summer as we will have a can of lager and a bit of banter, so please an informed answer are we breaking the hours or wtd laws?.
Thanks in advance.

tuktukmike:
Hoping someone can give honest answer to this,
For as long as I can remember myself and many others have freely and in our own time washed our trucks on normally a sunday.
Quite an event in summer as we will have a can of lager and a bit of banter, so please an informed answer are we breaking the hours or wtd laws?.
Thanks in advance.

As long as you’re not being paid or being instructed to wash your vehicle you’re freely disposing of your time so I don’t see a problem.

I wouldn’t work for nothing and I think you can expect the usual people to give you an earbashing and tell you that you’re ruining the job for everyone but i suppose it’s your choice.

I begrudge being at work when I’m getting paid to be there, so being there for free is the last thing I’d do. Having said that, that’s me and I have no right to judge your choices, so I’m gonna agree with Tachograph in that if there’s no coercion or payment to wash your trucks then it is no different to washing your car, mowing your lawn or cleaning your house on your day off.

I would say at best it’s a grey area, but personally that’s other work for me, so you’d be breaking EU regs of failing to record and more than likely insufficient weekly rest

the maoster:
I begrudge being at work when I’m getting paid to be there, so being there for free is the last thing I’d do. Having said that, that’s me and I have no right to judge your choices, so I’m gonna agree with Tachograph in that if there’s no coercion or payment to wash your trucks then it is no different to washing your car, mowing your lawn or cleaning your house on your day off.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
if its completely your own choice,then its nothing to do with anyone else.
if its because you wont get the best runs,or you wont be one of the favoured few,then its coercion and other work.
in reality then who knows or cares what you do in your own time apart from some panicking rule book nitpicking fanny that thinks vosa is on a mission to entrap you with something remotely iffy when they have their hands full of black and white rule breakers.
if your boss lays on a few slabs of beer then that might be considered as payment,otherwise,do as you please.
no dount itl never matter till someone gets fired and does the grassing up to vosa for badness.