Weekly rest compensation

Whats this about adding weekly rest compensation to a daily rest?

I work mon - fri and the odd Saturday
So i worked mon - sat last week with a 42 hour rest (week commencing 27/1)

Im working tomorrow (Saturday) again
But today i finished 1300 and wont start tomorrow till 0600 so will them 3 hours i owe be payed back??

The week before last i was on holiday all week

So week commencing 20/1 hols all week
Week commencing 27/1 mon-sat 42 hours rest
After this week itll be another 42 hours rest
Or will i need 51 hours rest next weekend 15th/16th) ■■?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1284:
Whats this about adding weekly rest compensation to a daily rest?

I work mon - fri and the odd Saturday
So i worked mon - sat last week with a 42 hour rest (week commencing 27/1)

Im working tomorrow (Saturday) again
But today i finished 1300 and wont start tomorrow till 0600 so will them 3 hours i owe be payed back??

So week commencing 20/1 hols all week
Week commencing 27/1 mon-sat 42 hours rest
After this week itll be another 42 hours rest
Or will i need 51 hours rest next weekend 15th/16th) ■■?

1300 to 0600 off = 17 off so that can be 11 + 6 payback or 9 + 8 payback if you have a reduced daily rest available so your 3 owed from the 42 off is easily paid back :smiley:

You have a regular weekly rest for the week starting 27/1 using the last 45 off from the holls week
You have a reduced for the week starting 3/2 using the 42 off at the start of the week
You can have a reduced at the end of this week which does not need compensating for - that also easily pays back the 3 hours from the last reduced
You will need a regular weekly rest at the end of the week starting 10/2

Cheers rog

Just be aware, that although you’re legal this time because of the holiday, but you couldn’t repeat that pattern unless you had extra time off, unless you really really understand it, I’d only ever stick to reducing every other week.

The rule is, in any 2 consecutive fixed weeks (0000 Mon - 2400 sun), you must have at least either 2 regular weekly rests or 1 regular and 1 reduced weekly rest. Paying it back doesn’t turn a reduced into a regular.

So this pattern for example would be illegal■■?

Week 0 regular (60 hours rest)
Week 1 reduced (42 hours rest)
Week 2 reduced (42 hours rest)
Week 3 regular (60 hours rest)
Week 4 reduced (42 hours rest)
Week 5 reduced (42 hours rest)
Week 6 regular (60 hours rest)
And so on

I would say that was legal as i would need to compensate 6 hours for weeks 3 and 6 (51 hours) so im well under by having the 60 hours rest ■■?

Week 0 regular (60 hours rest) REGULAR IF REST FOR WEEK 0
Week 1 reduced (42 hours rest) REDUCED
Week 2 reduced (42 hours rest) MUST BE REGULAR

mark1284:
So this pattern for example would be illegal■■?

Week 0 regular (60 hours rest)
Week 1 reduced (42 hours rest)
Week 2 reduced (42 hours rest)
And so on

I would say that was legal as i would need to compensate 6 hours for weeks 3 and 6 (51 hours) so im well under by having the 60 hours rest ■■?

It’s week 5 that would need to be a regular of at least 45 hours.

It’s not your weekly rests that you can reduce every other, it’s any 2 consecutive fixed weeks must have either 1 full and 1 reduced weekly rest or 2 full weekly rests.

Have a weeks holiday, start back 0600 Mon, the week off would count as back to back full weekly rests (45 hours + 45 = 90). because a full weekly rest crossing Sunday midnight, it can count in either, but not both unless it’s a back to weekly rest, minimum of 69 hours (45+24).

So because it’s a back to back full weekly, then the 0000 - 0600 basically counts as a full weekly rest for the coming week.

Reduce at the end.

Reduce at the end of the next week

Full at the end of the next

So you reduced, reduced, full

But the fixed weeks were full, reduced, full

If the 1st reduced crosses Sunday midnight, then both reduced are in the same fixed weeks, you would just compensate the 1 that needed the least amount of compensation.

If it was all before midnight Sunday then you just wouldn’t need to compensate that one

It works by moving the rest that counts from the beginning to the end of the week. It only works if your weekly rests cross Sunday midnight, so therefore can be counted in either, but not both. So this can’t be repeated until you have a back to back weekly rests that crosses Sunday midnight to reset it so the rest that counts is at the beginning again

You could carry the potential to do 2 on the bounce forward indefinitely so long as your weekly rest crosses Sunday midnight

Or 2 or more in the same fixed week

stevieboy308:

Please explain why if the first 60 off is for week 0 :question:

ROG:

stevieboy308:

Please explain why if the first 60 off is for week 0 :question:

I thought he’d put that that was a week off! Think I’ve combined / confused his 2 posts

This is the only thing that confuses me [emoji23][emoji23] so basically 1 reduced 1 regularly in 2 consecutive weeks?

mark1284:
This is the only thing that confuses me [emoji23][emoji23] so basically 1 reduced 1 regularly in 2 consecutive weeks?

Yes!

As seen in the first example you can start with rest at the start of the week and then switch to rest at the end of the week which means there will be one rest between switching which is not used as rest for any week

This can usually happen when sunday midnights are part of the weekly rests

Thanks

So in theory you could work mon-sat every week as long as you compensate those hours on a daily rest??
If i work a Saturday I normally only owe 3-4 hours anyway so if i have a 15hr daily rest though the week are they paid off?

mark1284:
So in theory you could work mon-sat every week as long as you compensate those hours on a daily rest??
If i work a Saturday I normally only owe 3-4 hours anyway so if i have a 15hr daily rest though the week are they paid off?

A compensated reduced weekly rest does not make it into a regular weekly rest

You could do this every week as an example -
Finish saturday 10am and start monday 7am as that makes a 45 hour regular weekly rest

Ok cheers