Question about company driving assessment

I’m not sure if this is the right area to ask this, but the company I’ve been working with for the past year and a half is introducing driving assessments even for drivers who’ve worked there for years.

The issue is the transport supervisor they’ve selected to do them does not have an HGV license and I’m wondering if this is allowed?

Benj2293:
I’m not sure if this is the right area to ask this, but the company I’ve been working with for the past year and a half is introducing driving assessments even for drivers who’ve worked there for years.

The issue is the transport supervisor they’ve selected to do them does not have an HGV license and I’m wondering if this is allowed?

I don’t see why they cannot introduce driver assessments but having them held by someone who’s not qualified to do them seems like a waste of time.

Other people will know more about this than I do but I imagine that if they disciplined anyone on the basis that they failed a driving assessment held by someone who’s not qualified to be assessing HGV drivers they would be leaving themselves wide open to a constructive dismissal case.

Has the transport supervisor ever held a HGV licence ?

I don’t think the new drivers forum is the vest place to post this so I’ll ask the mods to move this to the safety law and working time forum or the PDF forum :wink:

tachograph:

Benj2293:

I don’t see why they cannot introduce driver assessments but having them held by someone who’s not qualified to do them seems like a waste of time.

Other people will know more about this than I do but I imagine that if they disciplined anyone on the basis that they failed a driving assessment held by someone who’s not qualified to be assessing HGV drivers they would be leaving themselves wide open to a constructive dismissal case.

Has the transport supervisor ever held a HGV licence ?

I don’t think the new drivers forum is the vest place to post this so I’ll ask the mods to move this to the safety law and working time forum or the PDF forum :wink:

Thank you, this is my first post here hence the uncertainty on where to post it.

The supervisor in question has never held any HGV license and tried telling me he’s qualified to do the assessments but I try not to believe all I’m told by management

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

When you take your class1, class2 or pcv tests, the examiner obviously has to have that category on their licence in case you are a complete hazard and they have to drive back and also because they know what you should be looking for/doing at any given time. Its very easy for a car driver to judge a wagon driver having never driven one which would be playing on my mind the whole assessment drive.

Of course it’s allowed. Companies can employ whoever they like to assess the way their vehicles are driven. Their vehicles, their rules.

They can assess you as often as they like, no matter how long you’ve worked there, it’s only wasting their time and money (assuming you are being paid during these exercises) and they are free to ■■■■ as much of it up the wall as they want.

Just go along with it, it’s merely a box ticking exercise that some pointy shoe has realised they aren’t covering at the moment, as alluded to above if a known decent drivers of good repute was to fail the assessment it would be interesting to know what the plan is for such an eventuality.

It’s possibly a new insurance provider (or some other interest) that has regular assessments in their T’s and C’s, and the company are complying as best they can with this formality, it wouldn’t worry me unduly because the assessor has no experience to base failing someone on anyway, in practice so long as you can do a decent walk around check and drive around the route without having an accident or frightening the bloke out of his wits, a pass will be the result.

Juddian:
They can assess you as often as they like, no matter how long you’ve worked there, it’s only wasting their time and money (assuming you are being paid during these exercises) and they are free to ■■■■ as much of it up the wall as they want.

Just go along with it, it’s merely a box ticking exercise that some pointy shoe has realised they aren’t covering at the moment, as alluded to above if a known decent drivers of good repute was to fail the assessment it would be interesting to know what the plan is for such an eventuality.

It’s possibly a new insurance provider (or some other interest) that has regular assessments in their T’s and C’s, and the company are complying as best they can with this formality, it wouldn’t worry me unduly because the assessor has no experience to base failing someone on anyway, in practice so long as you can do a decent walk around check and drive around the route without having an accident or frightening the bloke out of his wits, a pass will be the result.

Thank you, this makes sense as I know company policy requires assessments but they’ve just never bothered.

I work nights so I shan’t imagine I’ll be assessed anytime soon, I just wanted to ask the question to those with more experience in this industry as originally the thought of a car driver assessing my driving an artic seemed odd

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If the ‘assessor’ has been either a driving instructor or examiner for cars then at least they might not be completely useless at assessing hgv drivers. The two aren’t the same obviously, but at least he should be able to recognise safe and competent driving

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk