Private HGV tax class 10

I hope this is the right section to ask…

We have restored an ERF tractor unit that is currently taxed for maximum weight revenue and has a SORN and we would like to change the tax to class 10 private HGV but the subject seems to be a bit of minefield to say the least.
As I understand it you need a form which nobody I’ve asked seems to know the name of and it has to be sent with the V5, insurance and test cert. etc to the DVLA. Can the form be downloaded and if so where from? I was told it was called a VTG86 but I cant find anything on any .GOV websites?
Secondly, does the vehicle have to be taxed already for the tax to then be changed?
I’d be very grateful to anybody who has done this that can explain exactly how to go about doing it?

thanks in advance

VTG86 is just the form for a replacement plating certificate.

I think the form you need is V70 (which can be downloaded). Sadly I think it has to be currently taxed, although my understanding is that you will be able to get a refund on any “unused” months once the change has been processed.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

last time i had a lorry changed to private hgv it was sorn, i simply took the v5c into a post office told them i wanted it as private, they then taxed it for me as private hgv. no hassle, no paperwork, just done.

gov.uk/change-vehicle-tax-c … -is-exempt