Tramping hours advice please - Planners reducing!

Started a tramping for the first time about a month ago and walked away this week as…

I get an email from the agency a week before hand confirming my start times are 6am Monday- Friday - perfect

I done a 6 day week and on the 5th day I was cut short so on the 6th day (Saturday) they can start me at 4am. With reluctance and abit of back and forth I accepted as this was not a normal shift but a extra day not planned in by agency nor planner.

But middle of the week the same thing happened where they planned my Wednesday short to start me early on the Thursday at 4am which as I say was not a extra day and not agreed when I started as per the email for the agency of 6am starts - This also had an affect on my daily rest as I had to take 9hrs off in order to start at 4am to fit their plan which I was not happy losing rest and money neither mind messing my body clock up.

Any other experienced trampers got any thing to say on this would be appreciated as I don’t think I am being a fairy about it just stating it’s not what I signed up for or what was in black and white. In fact I did say I am not being rigid and willing to be flexible by starting at 5am earliest but 4am is night shift work and also falls under the 10hr rule… :unamused:

MoffetWizard:
In fact I did say I am not being rigid and willing to be flexible by starting at 5am earliest but 4am is night shift work and also falls under the 10hr rule…

Starting at 04:00 doesn’t bring you under the 10 hour night time working limit, for goods vehicle drivers night time is 00:00 to 04:00.

tachograph:

MoffetWizard:
In fact I did say I am not being rigid and willing to be flexible by starting at 5am earliest but 4am is night shift work and also falls under the 10hr rule…

Starting at 04:00 doesn’t bring you under the 10 hour night time working limit, for goods vehicle drivers night time is 00:00 to 04:00.

So I by me starting other work (checks) at 04:01 I thought was avoiding and outside the 00:00 - 04:00 night time 10 hour working time limit. But even if I started at 04:00 on the dot it wouldn’t affect me either ■■? How about 03:59 ■■?

The 10 hour limit won’t apply if a simple majority of drivers working from the same depot on the same work have agreed to it.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
The 10 hour limit won’t apply if a simple majority of drivers working from the same depot on the same work have agreed to it.

Yes - opt out…But that wasn’t what I asked above bud and why does starting at 04:00 if I have not opted out nor the workforce not being me under the 10hour limit ?

MoffetWizard:

Roymondo:

Yes - opt out…But that wasn’t what I asked above bud and why does starting at 04:00 if I have not opted out nor the workforce not being me under the 10hour limit ?

I know it wasn’t what you asked. I posted my comment because you appeared (and still appear) to think that the 10 hour night working limit is something that a worker can choose to opt out of on an individual basis. It is not. If the other drivers have agreed the opt-out, then you are also opted out, regardless of your individual wishes.

Roymondo:

MoffetWizard:

Roymondo:

I know it wasn’t what you asked. I posted my comment because you appeared (and still appear) to think that the 10 hour night working limit is something that a worker can choose to opt out of on an individual basis. It is not. If the other drivers have agreed the opt-out, then you are also opted out, regardless of your individual wishes.

:smiley: Ok I will ask it in a different way which maybe should be clearer to you - If the workforce which I am apart of have not opted out of the 10hour working time limit on night work that falls between 00:00 - 04:00…Wait for it… If I start at 04:00 why does the 10 hour rule not affect me as my shift falls on but not between the stipulated time frame or should I be asking this in a different way ? :neutral_face:

MoffetWizard:
:smiley: Ok I will ask it in a different way which maybe should be clearer to you - If the workforce which I am apart of have not opted out of the 10hour working time limit on night work that falls between 00:00 - 04:00…Wait for it… If I start at 04:00 why does the 10 hour rule not affect me as my shift falls on but not between the stipulated time frame or should I be asking this in a different way ? :neutral_face:

You’ve just answered your own question.

Roymondo:

MoffetWizard:

You’ve just answered your own question.

Ok good we understand each other now :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you a tramper ? Any thoughts on the op ?

I’d only ever take the start time as the 1st day’s start time, after that I’d fully expect it to move around. I would normally start at 4 at the earliest.

I’d say them moving your starting time by 2 hours is perfectly normal and perfectly acceptable

Sounds like you want day work, knowing what time you start and finish each day isn’t something guaranteed being in transport.

0400 falls at the end of what is classed as night work for the 10hr opt-out, not during, so has no bearing on anything.

Planners plan, if they need you to start two hours before you want to then that’s the end of really, you’re employed by the agency who have subcontracted you to the company. Becoming an owner-Driver will put an end to this, you can dictate your own start times, and sit in traffic for hours in a morning.

Personally, depending on the workload, distance to travel, area of the country, I’ll gladly start at 0400. Monday I’m going to Hull for 0700 ish, so I’ll probably start at 0600, but Tuesday I’ll knock it back to 0400/0500 again without thinking about it. I like to avoid as much traffic as possible, and finish that bit earlier too.

mardybum:
Sounds like you want day work, knowing what time you start and finish each day isn’t something guaranteed being in transport.

0400 falls at the end of what is classed as night work for the 10hr opt-out, not during, so has no bearing on anything.

Planners plan, if they need you to start two hours before you want to then that’s the end of really, you’re employed by the agency who have subcontracted you to the company. Becoming an owner-Driver will put an end to this, you can dictate your own start times, and sit in traffic for hours in a morning.

Personally, depending on the workload, distance to travel, area of the country, I’ll gladly start at 0400. Monday I’m going to Hull for 0700 ish, so I’ll probably start at 0600, but Tuesday I’ll knock it back to 0400/0500 again without thinking about it. I like to avoid as much traffic as possible, and finish that bit earlier too.

stevieboy308:
I’d only ever take the start time as the 1st day’s start time, after that I’d fully expect it to move around. I would normally start at 4 at the earliest.

I’d say them moving your starting time by 2 hours is perfectly normal and perfectly acceptable

Well then looks like if this is the norm in the industry of tramping then …came as a bit of a shock as I thought they were taking liberties using my reductions which in turn affect my money and body clock but I see now that as it is what it is. Take it or leave it. Just was thinking that now they are moving the goal posts to 4am due to workload- next it will be 3am or who knows. Just thought it was somthing I should make a stand for but we all live and learn aye.

The other thing is I’d say it’s the norm to just be given a time to be at a place and sort yourself out with what’s gonna make best use of your hours, either working later, using a 10 or starting earlier etc.

Set your stall out at the beginning, that 4 is as early as you’re prepared to start, I’ve only ever started before that once that I can remember after a factory broke down where I was tipping then reloading, they paid me 11 hours to sit there all day and asked if I’d set off at 2am to be where ever it was by whatever time the next day

A job I had with a 45 min commute, they were happy with me starting at 5 when commuting then 4 in the truck