Daily rest longer than weekly rest?

Is this the correct way to look at this? I cannot work more than 6 days in a row therefore, sometimes my daily rests in this fortnight will be longer than my weekly rest.

Off 42 hours, reduced weekly, owe 3
Work week 1
Tue
Wed
Thur
Fri
Sat (Daily rest 29 hours, so the 3 hours are paid back)
Sun

Off 24 hours, reduced weekly, owe 21
Work week 2
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thur
(Off 34 hours Thur > Sat, so the 21 hours are paid back, 21+9 = 30)
Sat

Must take regular 45 hour weekly rest here, as in any two week period one weekly rest must be 45 hours.

Edit: for some reason I posted this in the newbie forum despite driving for 7+ years :smiley:

A weekly rest period is a period of at least 45 hours of continuous rest. A weekly rest period can be reduced to a minimum of 24 hours provided the reduction is compensated for by an equivalent continuous rest period before the end of the third week following the reduced week. The compensation must be attached to a rest period of at least nine hours. In any two consecutive weeks a rest period of at least one full weekly rest (45 hours) and one reduced weekly rest (24 hours) must be taken.

A maximum of six 24hr periods are allowed before a weekly rest must be taken. A weekly rest period which begins in one week and continues into the following week may be attached to either week but not both weeks.

Failure to comply will result in a Weekly Rest Infringement.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Got this from google

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

foresttrucker:
Is this the correct way to look at this? I cannot work more than 6 days in a row therefore, sometimes my daily rests in this fortnight will be longer than my weekly rest.

Work week 1
Tue
Wed
Thur
Fri
Sun

Work week 2
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thur
Sat

Must take regular 45 hour weekly rest here, as in any two week period one weekly rest must be 45 hours.

Edit: for some reason I posted this in the newbie forum despite driving for 7+ years :smiley:

I assume you had a regular weekly rest in week 0 :question:

Sat 29 off will be a reduced weekly rest so 16 to pay back - The 3 owed from the start can be added to a daily rest - even a 12 hour (9+3)

Good choice on thu 34 off as that can be as you did or it can be a reduced weekly rest = your choice

foresttrucker:

Work week 1
Tue
Wed
Thur
Fri
This is not a daily rest period it’s a reduced weekly rest period + 3 hours compensation for the previous reduced weekly rest period of 42 hours.
Sun

Work week 2
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thur
Sat

For this to be legal you would have to have had a regular 45 hour weekly rest period that can be counted for the week prior to the 42 hour reduced weekly rest period.

Assuming that’s the case, although it’s sort of irrelevant in this case but no compensation needs to be paid back for any of the reduced weekly rest periods except the 42 hour one, so in effect you’re over complicating it all.

I hate to do this, but is this legal? Or does it count as 3 weekly work periods?

OFF 50 hours Fully rested
Sun WORK

OFF 25 hours <1st weekly reduced
Mon-Sat WORK 6 DAYS IN ROW

OFF 40 hours <2nd weekly reduced
Mon WORK
Tue OFF 37 hours <daily rest + compensation for 1st/2nd weekly reduced
Wed WORK
Thur OFF 36 hours <daily rest + compensation for remainder of 2nd weekly reduced
Fri & Sat WORK

OFF 45 hours

foresttrucker:
I hate to do this, but is this legal? Or does it count as 3 weekly work periods?

OFF 50 hours Fully rested
Sun WORK

OFF 25 hours <1st weekly reduced
Mon-Sat WORK 6 DAYS IN ROW

OFF 40 hours <2nd weekly reduced
Mon WORK
Tue OFF 37 hours <daily rest + compensation for 1st/2nd weekly reduced
Wed WORK
Thur OFF 36 hours <daily rest + compensation for remainder of 2nd weekly reduced
Fri & Sat WORK

OFF 45 hours

If I’m understanding this correctly it’s legal.

Week 1, 50 hour weekly rest period.
Week 2, Reduced weekly rest period of 40 hours.
Week 3, Regular 45 hour weekly rest period at the end of the week

The only compensation needed is for the 40 reduced weekly rest period and that’s compensated for with the 37 hour weekly rest period.

To be honest, if I’ve understood it correctly you’re overcomplicating it with all this compensation that’s not really needed and does nothing but overcomplicate things.

You only ever need to compensate for one reduced weekly rest period that’s taken in any week.

Sunday to Saturday would be 7 days in a row. So the 25 hours between Sunday & Monday must serve as a weekly rest.

I think it will be OK. But I have had 45 > 2 x reduced weekly > 45 + compensation in the past, and it’s come up as an infringement. I wonder if it’s fully automated or if there is human error creeping into judging drivers infringements.

foresttrucker:
Sunday to Saturday would be 7 days in a row. So the 25 hours between Sunday & Monday must serve as a weekly rest.

Yes but it doesn’t need to be compensated for.

You don’t always have to pay compensation for every reduced weekly rest period you have.

Sent from my mobile.

tachograph:

foresttrucker:

Yes but it doesn’t need to be compensated for.

You don’t always have to pay compensation for every reduced weekly rest period you have.

Sent from my mobile.

Is this correct? ;

In a two-week 14-day block, with a 45 hour either side, all that matters is (1) there’s a 24-hr break somewhere (2) I don’t work 6 shifts without a reduced weekly.

If a fixed week already has a weekly rest then any extra weekly rests do not need compensating for but may be needed to be taken to prevent more than 144 hours between weekly rest periods

Please do not use the term DAY(S) because it confuses everything as the regs do not go by days but hours