Weekend Part time Hgv driving job

Iam looking for a bit of advice in regards to working time regulations. I have recently passed my Hgv and Iam still confused a bit if it comes to understanding all the rules correctly.

I currently work Mon-Fri 7-15.30as an office worker 40 hours week and I have just been offered weekend part time class one driving job.
So my question is what is a maximum hours I can do at the weekends to stay compliant and would it be legal to work every weekend?
Thanks for you help and sorry if my question seems to be stupid to anyone.

not stupid at all
you can do 1 day driving every other weekend to stay within working time directive

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

folken83:
not stupid at all
you can do 1 day driving every other weekend to stay within working time directive

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

EU driver regs

If you’re prepared to work unsocial hours you may be able to work every weekend & fit in two shifts, but I wouldn’t recommend it. You need to have a 45 hour break from all work at least alternate weeks, with a reduced break of no less than 24hrs on the other weekend. You also can’t exceed an average of 48 working hours per week (this will be your real limiting factor in doing more than one shift a week).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matto75:
If you’re prepared to work unsocial hours you may be able to work every weekend & fit in two shifts, but I wouldn’t recommend it. You need to have a 45 hour break from all work at least alternate weeks, with a reduced break of no less than 24hrs on the other weekend. You also can’t exceed an average of 48 working hours per week (this will be your real limiting factor in doing more than one shift a week).

office worker = normal WTD
Driver = driving WTD
The two do not get added together

The road transport (working time) regulations 2005 will apply to ALL work you undertake as long as you undertake at least 11 shifts in any reference period (17 or 26 weeks). As such your office work will be counted towards your working time (section 3 of said legislation). If this were not so and you were covered by different legislation for different jobs you would be free to work both Sat & Sun every week.

thanks for you answers everyone.
So I in addition to my full time mon-fri office work I can drive Hgv every Saturday or every second sat and sun.
Would that be correct?

matto75:
The road transport (working time) regulations 2005 will apply to ALL work you undertake as long as you undertake at least 11 shifts in any reference period (17 or 26 weeks). As such your office work will be counted towards your working time (section 3 of said legislation). If this were not so and you were covered by different legislation for different jobs you would be free to work both Sat & Sun every week.

Office work does not count towards the driver WTD

Other work in an office for example cannot count as rest for the EU driver tacho regs

WTD regs and EU tacho regs are totally different and it seems you are getting them mixed up

legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005 … ion/3/made

Office work in itself wouldn’t count, but once driving work is undertaken, bringing the individual within the scope of this legislation then ALL work is relevant (at least that is my interpretation)

matto75:
The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005

Office work in itself wouldn’t count, but once driving work is undertaken, bringing the individual within the scope of this legislation then ALL work is relevant (at least that is my interpretation)

You are welcome to have your own view but that is not the law

ROG is 100% correct. The RT WTD Regs 2005 reg 3(1) clearly states apply to EC 561 activities of which office work - outside of said transport field - does not count to Working Time Totals under those Regs.

It does count under EC Regs as it is not Rest - As stated separate Regs !

Thanks for your input but Can anyone confirm It would be legal to work every Saturday or every other Saturday and Sunday?

Newbiee:
Thanks for your input but Can anyone confirm It would be legal to work every Saturday or every other Saturday and Sunday?

Generally it will be legal to work one day every other weekend - every other sat or every other sun