Daily rest period: definition

I am paid a daily rate rather than hourly, so in theory I would be paid for each shift I commence between daily rest periods. I want to maximise on this so please can someone advise on the legality, in terms of drivers hours, for the following: work 9hrs, rest 11hrs, repeat (making each day only 20hrs). Could this facilitate 6 shifts every week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matto75:
I am paid a daily rate rather than hourly, so in theory I would be paid for each shift I commence between daily rest periods. I want to maximise on this so please can someone advise on the legality, in terms of drivers hours, for the following: work 9hrs, rest 11hrs, repeat (making each day only 20hrs). Could this facilitate 6 shifts every week?

I assume you mean starting a new shift immediately after the 11 hours daily rest period rather than starting at the same time each day.

If that’s the case then you could certainly do 6 shifts like that every week, (5x20)+9=109 hours between weekly rest periods which is well within the legal requirements of no more than 144 hours between weekly rest periods.

I think you need to define in your contract of employment whether you get a daily rate or a shift rate

Poor terminology on my part, it is a shift rate, I am paid a fixed fee for commencement of shift

That shift patter provided you never exceeded 9 hour shift length would allow you to squeeze in 7 distinct shifts. HOWEVER, after the first week of doing so would impinge on you weekly rest requirements. I will say though, whilst it may be possible, why on earth would you want to put yourself through that? Trust me, you’ll feel like death 3 days into it.

matto75:
Poor terminology on my part, it is a shift rate, I am paid a fixed fee for commencement of shift

You could do with small shifts to earn more … how about
shift 8 hours
rest 9 hours
shift 8 hrs
rest 9 hrs
shift 8 hrs
rest 9 hrs
shift 8 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 8 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 8 hrs
rest 11 hrs
shift 8 hrs
Regular weekly rest so you could do those 7 shifts every week :unamused: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

To comply with 48hr rule shift would need to average 8hrs (9hrs with break/POA) so I could get 12hrs rest daily. Fortunately I live <5mins from work so I don’t think it will be too arduous for a few months. Need the income boost temporarily & this would push me over the £40k threshold.

You can do as many “shifts” as you like between weekly rest, as long as you adhere to driving and rest rules and stop at or before 144 hour mark