Driving Part time

HI All

I passed my Cat c test 4 years ago but not ever used it.

I am currently a driving instructor and was interested in potentially doing occasional Saturday work or if i am quiet on a certain day then seeing if an agency has anything. My question is i currently work or do lessons for quite a few hours a week.

Mon 09:00 - 16:30
Tues 07:00 - 19:00
Wed 07:00 - 19:00
Thurs 07:00 - 19:00
Fri 07:00 - 17:00
Sat 08:00 - 12:30

Times can slightly change due to people not wanting a lesson straight at 7am but they are free to book in any of these times. if i swapped Saturday teaching to Saturday Driving HGV’s on every other weekend is it possible? I think the WTD 48 hour average is what prevents me from doing so.

Hope this is clear enough

JayD:
HI All

I am currently a driving instructor and was interested in potentially doing occasional Saturday work or if i am quiet on a certain day then seeing if an agency has anything. My question is i currently work or do lessons for quite a few hours a week.

Times can slightly change due to people not wanting a lesson straight at 7am but they are free to book in any of these times. if i swapped Saturday teaching to Saturday Driving HGV’s on every other weekend is it possible? I think the WTD 48 hour average is what prevents me from doing so.

Yes you could drive HGVs every other Saturday as long as you’ve finished work by 09:00 Sunday (144 hours from when you started work on the previous Monday), coincidently that would also leave you 24 hours rest before starting work on the following Monday.

Your driving instructor work will come under the 1998 Working Time Regulations so won’t count towards the RT(WT)R 2005 48 hour average week.

Legally if you drive every second Saturday you will need to make sure you have at-least 9 hours rest** before starting and at-least 24 hours rest after finishing the lorry driving job.
**Though as you’re new to driving HGVs I would advise having a good rest before starting to drive HGVs on Saturdays.

Presumably you’ve got a Driver Qualification Card (DQC) and you’ll need a drivers tachograph card ?

tachograph:

JayD:
HI All

Yes you could drive HGVs every other Saturday as long as you’ve finished work by 09:00 Sunday (144 hours from when you started work on the previous Monday), coincidently that would also leave you 24 hours rest before starting work on the following Monday.

Your driving instructor work will come under the 1998 Working Time Regulations so won’t count towards the RT(WT)R 2005 48 hour average week.

Legally if you drive every second Saturday you will need to make sure you have at-least 9 hours rest** before starting and at-least 24 hours rest after finishing the lorry driving job.
**Though as you’re new to driving HGVs I would advise having a good rest before starting to drive HGVs on Saturdays.

Presumably you’ve got a Driver Qualification Card (DQC) and you’ll need a drivers tachograph card ?

Thanks for the info. Yeah i have CPC although will be running out May 2020. and Tacho card. Do i need to keep a manual log of my driving instructing hours?

JayD:
Do i need to keep a manual log of my driving instructing hours?

Yes in any week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you should keep a record of any other work done in the same week.

You only need to record the start and finish times.

Legally the records for work done on none HGV driving days should be written on charts or printouts but it seems the DVSA will accept records kept in a notebook.

Sent from my mobile.