GVW Question

Hi all,

I was looking a the weight plate in this 18t truck and noticed the front axel can be loaded with 7.5t and rear with 11.5t. If I was loaded with both axels at maximum weight that would equal 19t - how can this be if its a 18t truck ?

I attached a pic to explain where im coming from.

Weights not to be exceeded in Great Britain

It’s Design weight is 19 tonne

It’s just stating what the maximum permitted weight is per axle but not necessarily at the same time, for example our Volvo units are something like 7t for front and mid lift and 11t for drive axle plus a tri-axle trailer at 8t each axle would put it at around 49t but doesn’t mean you can legally carry that, someone will explain it better though.

That is to allow for some load placing flexibility

Can you imagine if both axles added up to exactly the GVW of 18 tonnes and you had one max weight payload item to load without overloading any axle … you would have to precise in its placement to the mm

Rog, Baldy & Nutty thanks lads.

It does make sense with all those answers combined I take away the fact that it basically allows 1tonne extra so the truck is not literally at its maximum cap. Therfore allowijng the truck to handle better under braking, steering, suspension etc
Also flexibility to put 11.5t on the back axel and leave only say 6.5tonne on the front

:slight_smile:

MoffetWizard:
Rog, Baldy & Nutty thanks lads.

It does make sense with all those answers combined I take away the fact that it basically allows 1tonne extra so the truck is not literally at its maximum cap. Therfore allowijng the truck to handle better under braking, steering, suspension etc
Also flexibility to put 11.5t on the back axel and leave only say 6.5tonne on the front

:slight_smile:

Just remember that the document is not recognised in any other country except ours.

For instance your tires may be ok for 9 tonne, but “your tyres” on that document can only carry 7500 kg

O nice example in regards to the tyres but I guess the same could be true for the suspension (Spring&Shocks) which puts it in a comfortable threshold for saftey just giving the tyres, suspension some flexibilty.

Although if it came down to it at 56mph I would choose a suspension faliure over a tyre blowout with a full load on deck.

Great info and never knew the maximum weights plate was only vaild in the uk …Cheers

MoffetWizard:
0Hi all,

I was looking a the weight plate in this 18t truck and noticed the front axel can be loaded with 7.5t and rear with 11.5t.

If that’s true, how does the weighbridge know how much weight to deduct to allow for the weight of the axle itself?

Isn’t it the case that the 7.5t and 11.5t are the respective total weights imposed on the weighbridge by the vehicle carrying the load?

If a basic weighbridge for a 2 axle rigid then 3 weights can be done
Front wheels on with rear just off it = front axle weight MAX 7.5 TONNES
All wheels on = total weight MAX 18 TONNES
Rear wheels on with front just off it = rear axle weight MAX 11.5 TONNES
To confirm just add front and rear weights and they should add up to total weight