GB Domestic Goods - the length of a Drivers Duty day

I am trying to get my head round how to compute what is the best way to calculate the length of a Goods Vehicle (GB) domestic day - in terms of Daily Rest. I know that there are no Weekly Rest requirements under the 1968 Transport Act and the definition of a “Working Day” under the 1986 Modifications Order has to be one of the worst ever written.

The best workaround that I have come up with so far is to create a definition of a new start to a new 24 hour period that does not generate an infringement!

For example: A driver starts at 06:00 on the 1st October and works with combined driving and Other work (and excluding any breaks) for 11 hours finishing at 17:00. He takes 12 hours off and resumes at 05:00 on the 2nd with an Hour of driving giving him 12 hours of duty time in that 24 hour period starting at 06:00, 1 hour in excess of the permitted maximum of 11 hours duty time in a 24 hour period. Therefore, he could only start duty at 06:00 again as this is the first time he could begin driving / Other Work, without generating an infringement.

So, in effect, is the length of a Daily Rest period under Domestic actually governed by when an Infringement is not generated?

A driver on domestic regs can legally do this - silly but true

work 1 hour
rest 1 hour
drive 1 hour
rest 1 hour
drive 1 hour
rest 1 hour
drive 1 hour
rest 1 hour
drive 1 hour
rest 1 hour
drive 1 hour
rest 1 hour
drive 1 hour
rest 1 hour
drive 1 hour
rest 1 hour
drive 1 hour
rest 1 hour
drive 1 hour
rest 1 hour
drive 1 hour
rest 3 hours

The driver can legally do this every day of the year

How silly can the rules be …

Probably based on old marine watch systems, 2 x 4 and a dogging

There is no daily rest requirements in GB domestic, other than adequate rest

You can’t work more than 11 hours in a 24 hour period, that’s it, no shift limit, no daily rest, just don’t work more than 11 hours in 24

Wheel Nut:
Probably based on old marine watch systems, 2 x 4 and a dogging

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the above is only relevant if you pick the correct layby to park up in. :slight_smile: