Height marker

We have a yardman / driver at our place who seems to think the rules don’t apply to him , ( the manager loves him ) weight / width limits don’t exist. Lately he has started loading ( his ) wagon way above the height of the crane.He has no idea what height he is running at and his in cab marker still shows 13’10" . How would vosa view this if he were to be stopped.?

If gets pulled over and is overloded he’ll get done for it obviously. Only thing is what are the chances of that happening

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

syramax:
We have a yardman / driver at our place who seems to think the rules don’t apply to him , ( the manager loves him ) weight / width limits don’t exist. Lately he has started loading ( his ) wagon way above the height of the crane.He has no idea what height he is running at and his in cab marker still shows 13’10" . How would vosa view this if he were to be stopped.?

I’m guessing if he keeps loading stuff too high and doesn’t know his height one day it’ll bite him back in spectacular fashion and he may even get the picture on TNUK, it’s obviously against the law to have your cab marker set lower than the real height but he probably won’t get caught in reality.

Legally the height marker should be set to no less than the highest part of the vehicle and no more than 25mm more than the highest part of the vehicle, I doubt the DVSA would be too pedantic about the 25mm but given all the bridge strikes we keep hearing about I imagine they would not hesitate to give out the £50 fixed penalty fine for anyone who’s vehicle height marker is obviously set much lower than the vehicle height.

tachograph:
Legally the height marker should be set to no less than the highest part of the vehicle and no more than 25mm more than the highest part of the vehicle, I doubt the DVSA would be too pedantic about the 25mm but given all the bridge strikes we keep hearing about I imagine they would not hesitate to give out the £50 fixed penalty fine for anyone who’s vehicle height marker is obviously set much lower than the vehicle height.

I thought you could set the height marker as high as you liked over the real height but it only becomes illegal if you then pass under a bridge which is lower than the height that your marker is set to if you know what I mean.

tachograph:

This is what I was looking for, if he wants to run about drawing attention to himself that’s his problem if he gets stopped . However the wagons are well signed and his actions are likely to put attention to others . Thanks for the replies ,hopefully when he’s shown that it’s not just two daft auld twits that think he’s wrong he may decide to change his ways .

bald bloke:

tachograph:

I thought you could set the height marker as high as you liked over the real height but it only becomes illegal if you then pass under a bridge which is lower than the height that your marker is set to if you know what I mean.

According to the construction and use regulations the limit is 25mm above the vehicle height but I’ve just read on another site that the limit is 150mm above the vehicle height, I suppose it’s possible that the construction and use regulations have been amended but it would usually say so on the legislation site.

I’ll see if I can find anything later.

Sent from my mobile.

I’ve found the amendment and the height indicator needs to be no less than the height of the vehicle and no more than 150mm more than the height of the vehicle.

legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1997 … edule/made

Sent from my mobile.

tachograph:
I’ve found the amendment and the height indicator needs to be no less than the height of the vehicle and no more than 150mm more than the height of the vehicle.

legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1997 … edule/made

Sent from my mobile.

Ok it’s that I had a run with one of our normal fridges @ 13’9” and then had to take an urban out afterwards @ 13’ 3” and I couldn’t be arsed to change the marker so at 150mm I’d have just been legal.