Driving without a card inserted disciplinary

I’ve been asked to attend and co-deliver a disciplinary for an lgv driver who removed his card then carried on driving.

I know different companies have different rules for this activity but being gross misconduct what is the correct disciplinary procedures for it?

Is it first a recorded down verbal etc or straight to a written (if written would a written warning be a drivers first and last written warning for this activity)

or is it a simple case of gross misconduct = instant dismissal ?

for some of us it would mean an extra few quid,the choice of the better trips,and an extra few quid… :slight_smile:
no doubt in your case itl depend on how well his face fits and how bothered they are about replacing him.

I’ve been through this with drivers pulling their card for their own benefit .
The traffic commissioner took their vocational licences for a month for each offence and the company had a curtailment.
Traffic commissioner would expect to see adequate action being taken for such offences. In my opinion they would expect to see a final written warning with retraining as a minimum .

How long for? On the road? In the depot? Fuelling up?

Its obvious to me that the driver pulled his card out of the VU whilst on the road when he was due for a break but he simply wanted to finish his shift rather than taking his break on the road (the driver works a day rate).

In my opinion the driver thought if he pulled his card out it would not show a break time infringement on his driver card report but of course it then gives the operator a missing mileage issue.

J-BONE:
I’ve been asked to attend and co-deliver a disciplinary for an lgv driver who removed his card then carried on

What is your position and reason for you to “attend and co-deliver a disciplinary?

Just interested

My role is Transport Supervisor for the operator…

Driving on the road total disregard for the company and terms and conditions of his licence and the company’s it should be dismissal.

nick2008:
Driving on the road total disregard for the company and terms and conditions of his licence and the company’s it should be dismissal.

I agree, hence my initial comment, if he was in the yard, washing down, fuelling up or loading firewood in his car it doesn’t really matter.

nick2008:

Ditto ^^

J-BONE:
Its obvious to me that the driver pulled his card out of the VU whilst on the road when he was due for a break but he simply wanted to finish his shift rather than taking his break on the road (the driver works a day rate).

In my opinion the driver thought if he pulled his card out it would not show a break time infringement on his driver card report but of course it then gives the operator a missing mileage issue.

So for the sake of 45mins he’s at risk of being sacked ?
Serves him right ! So he would have had to work a bit later so what

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fair comments and thanks guys for your views, the driver is in tomorrow for his hearing I’ll let you know the out come.

After the driver was presented with the evidence of removing his driver card at todays disciplinary the driver walked of his own accord before he was sacked by the operator… So I guess the driver sacked himself.

Thanks for your opinions guys on this issue.