Exceeding 9 or 10 hours driving in a 24 hour period?

We all know the daily driving limit is 9 hours per shift which may be extended to a max of 10 hours driving on no more than 2 shifts in a fixed week but is it legal for a driver to drive for more than 9 or 10 hours in a fixed 24 hour period?? For example if a Driver starts a shift at 01.00 and ends his/her shift at 12.00 with almost 9 hours driving then takes a 9 hour reduced daily rest and starts again at 21.00 and drives the next 3 hours would they be guilty of driving 12 hours in a 24 hour period?? Was discussing this with work mates recently and none of us could agree if its legal or not??

Great question , I wouldn’t know but will be interesting to find out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CALUM:
We all know the daily driving limit is 9 hours per shift which may be extended to a max of 10 hours driving on no more than 2 shifts in a fixed week but is it legal for a driver to drive for more than 9 or 10 hours in a fixed 24 hour period?? For example if a Driver starts a shift at 01.00 and ends his/her shift at 12.00 with almost 9 hours driving then takes a 9 hour reduced daily rest and starts again at 21.00 and drives the next 3 hours would they be guilty of driving 12 hours in a 24 hour period?? Was discussing this with work mates recently and none of us could agree if its legal or not??

No. You have had a daily rest, so when you start your next drive at 21.00 you start a new 24 hour period.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

The regulations don’t say you can do 10 hours driving in a shift, they say you can extend the “daily driving time” to 10 hours twice a week, the daily driving time is the accumulated driving between 2 daily rest periods or between a daily rest period and a weekly rest period.

When you’ve completed a daily/weekly rest period your daily driving time is reset to having 9/10 hours driving time available.

The 24 hour period doesn’t enter into the equation unless you’re on UK domestic regulations.

Thanks very much for your reply’s.