Daily rest

So is there a limit inbetween shifts?

You could for example work 9am to 2300 on monday which would be a reduced daily rest then start again at say 0300 and finish at noon on tuesday? (Regular daily rest)
But theres only 4hrs between shifts so Would that be legal?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1284:

You could for example work 9am to 2300 on monday which would be a reduced daily rest then start again at say 0300 and finish at noon on tuesday? (Regular daily rest)

Thanks

Minimum daily rest (time between shifts to reset driving time etc) is 9 hours and that can only be done 3 times between any two weekly rests
If used up all 3 reduced daily rests then its 11 hours unless you use split daily rests of 3 + 9

You’re misunderstanding how regular and reduced daily rest periods come about.

Within 24 hours from the start of the shift you must have completed a daily rest period, once the daily rest period is completed a new period of 24 hours begins.

A regular daily rest period is 11 hours.
A reduced daily rest period is 9 hours.

Sent from my mobile.

I was thinking how this works the other day . It has me confused too about split rest , glad I’m not the only one [emoji848]

mark1284:

Thanks

If you worked from 09:00 till 23:00 (14hrs shift) you could only legally fit a 9hr reduced daily rest into that 24hr period so you would not be able to start duty again until 08:00 the next morning (9hrs reduced daily rest)

So what you suggested is actually breaking the law because as you rightly said you’d only have taken 4hrs daily rest before commencing your next shift.
You are confusing the amount of hours worked with the required rest amounts in regards to what constitutes as a reduced or full daily rest, while they do apply to each other you have misinterpreted them, [13hrs on + 11hrs off = 24hrs total (full daily rest)] [15hrs on + 9hrs off = 24hrs total (reduced daily rest)]

Airbag1uk:
I was thinking how this works the other day . It has me confused too about split rest , glad I’m not the only one [emoji848]

A split daily rest is actually quite straight forward, as I’m sure you are aware you can only have three reduced daily rests within one six shift period, HOWEVER… You could have five of your six shifts as 9hrs off providing you have a continuous break of at least three hours during the course of two or more of those shifts.

You are actually taking 12hrs rest but in two split sections 3hrs + 9hrs so if during the course of your shift you were able to rest for three hours then you could legally work up till the 15th hour of that days shift (start at 08:00 - at least one continuous 3hr rest period during the course of your shift - finish at 23:00 - 9hr daily rest period - start again at 08:00 the next morning.

Shift 1 - 06:00 till 21:00 (15hr) + 9hr reduced daily rest = 24hrs
Shift 2 - 06:00 till 21:00 (15hr) + 9hr reduced daily rest = 24hrs
Shift 3 - 06:00 till 21:00 (15hr) + 9hr reduced daily rest = 24hrs
Shift 4 - 06:00 till 21:00 with a 3hr rest taken during the course of the shift (15hr but only 12 worked) + 9hr reduced daily rest = 24hrs
Shift 5 - 06:00 till 21:00 with a 3hr rest taken during the course of the shift (15hr but only 12 worked) and then start your weekly rest period.
Shift 6 - Nah, Feet up, beer time, you’ve done enough this week, 69hrs you hero! (unless your name is Dozy of course, he’ll be running in Sat morning regardless :smiley: )

Of course I’m not getting into the ins and outs of maximum shifts allowed per week or driving times and driving breaks and I’m definitely not getting into the WTD either but my example helps explain the SDR (Split Daily Rest) I think :wink:

Found the gov.uk diagrams which might help explain things too…

Note the common denominator is it’s ALWAYS a 24hr period…

Regular daily rest…

Image5.jpg
Reduced daily rest…

Image6.jpg
Split daily rest…

Image3.jpg

Reef:

mark1284:

Thanks

If you worked from 09:00 till 23:00 (14hrs shift) you could only legally fit a 9hr reduced daily rest into that 24hr period so you would not be able to start duty again until 08:00 the next morning (9hrs reduced daily rest)

So what you suggested is actually breaking the law because as you rightly said you’d only have taken 4hrs daily rest before commencing your next shift.
You are confusing the amount of hours worked with the required rest amounts in regards to what constitutes as a reduced or full daily rest, while they do apply to each other you have misinterpreted them, [13hrs on + 11hrs off = 24hrs total (full daily rest)] [15hrs on + 9hrs off = 24hrs total (reduced daily rest)]

Airbag1uk:

A split daily rest is actually quite straight forward, as I’m sure you are aware you can only have three reduced daily rests within one six shift period, HOWEVER… You could have five of your six shifts as 9hrs off providing you have a continuous break of at least three hours during the course of two or more of those shifts.

You are actually taking 12hrs rest but in two split sections 3hrs + 9hrs so if during the course of your shift you were able to rest for three hours then you could legally work up till the 15th hour of that days shift (start at 08:00 - at least one continuous 3hr rest period during the course of your shift - finish at 23:00 - 9hr daily rest period - start again at 08:00 the next morning.

Shift 4 - 06:00 till 21:00 with a 3hr rest taken during the course of the shift (15hr but only 12 worked) + 9hr reduced daily rest = 24hrs
Shift 5 - 06:00 till 21:00 with a 3hr rest taken during the course of the shift (15hr but only 12 worked) and then start your weekly rest period.
Shift 6 - Nah, Feet up, beer time, you’ve done enough this week, 69hrs you hero! (unless your name is Dozy of course, he’ll be running in Sat morning regardless :smiley: )

Of course I’m not getting into the ins and outs of maximum shifts allowed per week or driving times and driving breaks and I’m definitely not getting into the WTD either but my example helps explain the SDR (Split Daily Rest) I think :wink:

So would i have used 2 reduced rests doing what you said above?

mark1284:

Reef:

So would i have used 2 reduced rests doing what you said above?

There’s 3 reduced daily rest periods there plus 2 split daily rest periods.

Technically shifts 4 and 5 are not reduced daily rest periods they’re split daily rest periods which don’t count as reduced daily rest periods.

Be aware that for a split daily rest period the 3 hours rest during the shift must be 3 consecutive hours rest, you cannot have say a couple of hours rest then an hour later on, all 3 hours rest have to be taken together.

tachograph:
Technically shifts 4 and 5 are not reduced daily rest periods they’re split daily rest periods which don’t count as reduced daily rest periods

Yes a good point that perhaps I could have been a little clearer on.
You could take shift 4 & 5 (the split daily rest ones) as shift 1 and 2 (or anywhere else within your weeks shift period) and still have had your three reduced daily rests available.
In fact you could do split daily rests on shifts 1 through 5 and not have used any reduced daily rests at all that week, there’s nothing that needs paying back either.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk