Minimum requirements!

Hi… I just wanted to know what are the minimum requirements for equipment on the truck when you are ADR carrying class 3 ( flammable liquids) for example warning triangles fire extinguishers etc etc…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to be harsh but if you have an adr license then you should know what you need. And if you do have one and still need to ask on a forum what you need then that’s worrying for the standard of training being given.
I found what was required within 20 seconds with a quick google search and I dont have an adr.

The-Snowman:
Not to be harsh but if you have an adr license then you should know what you need. And if you do have one and still need to ask on a forum what you need then that’s worrying for the standard of training being given.
I found what was required within 20 seconds with a quick google search and I dont have an adr.

Same thought occurred to me.
Unless it`s a “wonderin about summat in an idle moment” type of question, from someone without an ADR licence? Although the specifying of Class 3 seem to speak against that.

Rob range:
Hi… I just wanted to know what are the minimum requirements for equipment on the truck when you are ADR carrying class 3 ( flammable liquids) for example warning triangles fire extinguishers etc etc…

Hi,

I’m not quite sure what you mean here… “when you are ADR” because there a bit more to it than that.

The key questions are:

Are you the owner of the vehicle, or are you an employed driver? (It might not be your problem)
What is it that needs to be moved? (UN number, PSN, Class and Packing Group)
How is it packaged? (size/type)
How much of it will be carried in total? (Litres)
Is it a delivery from “A” to “B” as a job and delivery paperwork to be signed?
Is the proposed movement covered by an exemption or Special Provision?
(Substance-specific… method of packaging, type of vehicle, type of operation etc)

As a rough rule of thumb, if an ADR licence is required, then the questions about training get raised exactly as already said by other posters above.

At the same point, the company also (usually) needs a properly qualified DGSA.

:bulb: Sorry mate, but nobody can give you a good answer from the very sparse info you’ve given so far. :smiley:

You’ve mentioned equipment, but have you also considered vehicle markings and documentation?

The-Snowman:

Not being harsh either but you’re assuming a lot from absolutely nothing … I have asked a valid question to a subject that I have an Interest in … im not asking to be judged on what or what I shouldn’t know or the standard of any training given. The point is to gather information from professionals who are in this field of work without any form of judgment!

Franglais:

The-Snowman:

Unless it`s a “wonderin about summat in an idle moment” type of question, from someone without an ADR licence? Although the specifying of Class 3 seem to speak against that.

check my reply to snowman

dieseldave:

Rob range:

Hi,

I’m not quite sure what you mean here… “when you are ADR” because there a bit more to it than that.

The key questions are:

Are you the owner of the vehicle, or are you an employed driver? (It might not be your problem)
(Substance-specific… method of packaging, type of vehicle, type of operation etc)

As a rough rule of thumb, if an ADR licence is required, then the questions about training get raised exactly as already said by other posters above.

:bulb: Sorry mate, but nobody can give you a good answer from the very sparse info you’ve given so far. :smiley:

You’ve mentioned equipment, but have you also considered vehicle markings and documentation?

Hi thanks for the reply much appreciated …

I was thinking more along the terms of the fuel tankers that you see tipping at the garages … and was just wondering what they need to carry in the cab with them over the normal general haulage drivers …which was required by law … equipment wise more than documentation … I hope that helps a little …

Franglais:

The-Snowman:

That seems to be it, an idle moment. I was 8 once and wondering why the back windows of a Guy Invisible were held in by little pieces of baked bean can and Meccano bolts. I have been asking questions ever since!

Rob range:
Not being harsh either but you’re assuming a lot from absolutely nothing … I have asked a valid question to a subject that I have an Interest in … im not asking to be judged on what or what I shouldn’t know or the standard of any training given. The point is to gather information from professionals who are in this field of work without any form of judgment!

The-Snowman:
I found what was required within 20 seconds with a quick google search

What gave you the impression I was judging? I said IF you have one then the training standard isnt up to much.
You asked what was required for class 3 ADR. If you have your ADR you should know. If you dont, what difference does it make what those that have it need to carry?
Its a reasonable assumption you would have an adr to ask that question.

Rob range:

dieseldave:

Rob range:

Hi,

The key questions are:

I was thinking more along the terms of the fuel tankers that you see tipping at the garages … and was just wondering what they need to carry in the cab with them over the normal general haulage drivers …which was required by law … equipment wise more than documentation … I hope that helps a little …

Hi Rob range,

Thanks for the clarification that it’s a tanker, which changes everything!!

A tanker is fully subject to all applicable provisions of ADR at all times whether loaded or empty, the only exception being when the tanker is cleaned and purged of dangerous goods.

Minimum equipment for the carriage of UN Class 3:

Wheel chock
2 X self-standing warning signs
Eye wash
High-viz
Torch
Gloves
Goggles
Shovel
Drain seal
Collecting container
2 X fire extinguishers

That leaves out documentation and vehicle markings and I’ll just add that not all of the above needs to actually be carried in the cab, because ADR often uses the phrase “on board the transport unit.” (= Vehicle) and that company rules often require other items to be carried. The carriage of other UN Classes can sometimes vary the minimum equipment requirement.

The legal reference is CDG 2009 (as amended) Reg. 5 and ADR 2017 8.1.5

I hope this helps.

Rob range:
The point is to gather information from professionals who are in this field of work without any form of judgment!

To be fair mate, your question could have been a little clearer as to its intent, so I can understand posters raising an eyebrow and firing questions of their own from the gaps you left.
(Non judgemental, just an observation.)

An ADR trained driver who carries UN Class 3 should have been able to answer your question, but there is no requirement in ADR that says that they have to memorise the equipment list. Some drivers also tend to confuse their own company’s requirements and go on to state them as law… we’ve had a few on here who’ve done that. :smiley:

All sorted without judgement or any frilly bits. :smiley:

Coo and I remembered most of that (and where to find it!) so thanks Dave :smiley:

Resit on the 14th :cry:

good_friend:
Coo and I remembered most of that (and where to find it!) so thanks Dave :smiley:

Resit on the 14th :cry:

:bulb: The list is written twice in ADR, once at 8.1.5, the second one is at 5.4.3.4 :wink:

Chin up, you’ll nail it next time. :smiley:

The-Snowman:

Rob range:

The-Snowman:

What gave you the impression I was judging? I said IF you have one then the training standard isnt up to much.
You asked what was required for class 3 ADR. If you have your ADR you should know. If you dont, what difference does it make what those that have it need to carry?
Its a reasonable assumption you would have an adr to ask that question.

The point is there was a question which needed to be answered … and instead of answering it you want to put your pennies worth in on points which had nothing to do with the question … if you have nothing productive to bring to the table don’t say anything at all!

dieseldave:

Rob range:

dieseldave:

Rob range:

Hi,

The key questions are:

Hi Rob range,

Thanks for the clarification that it’s a tanker, which changes everything!!

A tanker is fully subject to all applicable provisions of ADR at all times whether loaded or empty, the only exception being when the tanker is cleaned and purged of dangerous goods.

Minimum equipment for the carriage of UN Class 3:

Wheel chock
2 X self-standing warning signs
Eye wash
High-viz
Torch
Gloves
Goggles
Shovel
Drain seal
Collecting container
2 X fire extinguishers

That leaves out documentation and vehicle markings and I’ll just add that not all of the above needs to actually be carried in the cab, because ADR often uses the phrase “on board the transport unit.” (= Vehicle) and that company rules often require other items to be carried. The carriage of other UN Classes can sometimes vary the minimum equipment requirement.

The legal reference is CDG 2009 (as amended) Reg. 5 and ADR 2017 8.1.5

I hope this helps.

Thanks Dave it was a great help … thanks again for your input !

Rob range:
The point is there was a question which needed to be answered .

The-Snowman:

NEEDED to be answered?
My comments are entirely relevant since If you have an adr and needed an answer then why wouldn’t I question the standard of training you were given, since you have apparently been trained to haul dangerous liquids, that you have to ask on a forum what you need and apparently don’t have any notes or booklets to refer to for the answer? I have to share the road with ADR holders. Im entitled to be concerned if they need to rely on internet forums to keep them right with their requirments!
If you don’t have an adr and were “just wondering because you’re bored” then needed isn’t the word to describe it. I have no idea why you would care, far less start a whole new thread on a forum to ask, if that’s the case but each to their own.
Like I said, I found it within 20 seconds so do you really find it so astounding I would question why you need to ask if you dont hold an adr?

The-Snowman:

Rob range:
The point is there was a question which needed to be answered .

The-Snowman:

NEEDED to be answered?
My comments are entirely relevant since If you have an adr and needed an answer then why wouldn’t I question the standard of training you were given, since you have apparently been trained to haul dangerous liquids, that you have to ask on a forum what you need and apparently don’t have any notes or booklets to refer to for the answer? I have to share the road with ADR holders. Im entitled to be concerned if they need to rely on internet forums to keep them right with their requirments!
If you don’t have an adr and were “just wondering because you’re bored” then needed isn’t the word to describe it. I have no idea why you would care, far less start a whole new thread on a forum to ask, if that’s the case but each to their own.
Like I said, I found it within 20 seconds so do you really find it so astounding I would question why you need to ask if you dont hold an adr?

What you are seemingly finding difficult to grasp was that your points were not relevant because they wasn’t asked for in the first place !
You shouldn’t have questioned any training given because yet again you wasn’t asked to!

That was not the topic on discussion!

As for your concern yes you have to share the road with other road users and if your going to be sticking your nose into every drivers business and questioning their training you might as well quit driving because that in itself would be a full time job!

So points to remember for future posts:

Give answers for the question based on what the op has asked for !

Don’t assume anything about their training or background.

If you can’t answer without mentioning the above just don’t answer at all !

Hopefully you can grasp this subject matter now! But for me it has become repetitive! So this matter is now closed thanks to others who actually knew the etiquette on how forums actually work!

Safe driving Concerned Driver!

Rob range:
What you are seemingly finding difficult to grasp was that your points were not relevant because they wasn’t asked for in the first place !
You shouldn’t have questioned any training given because yet again you wasn’t asked to!

That was not the topic on discussion!

As for your concern yes you have to share the road with other road users and if your going to be sticking your nose into every drivers business and questioning their training you might as well quit driving because that in itself would be a full time job!

If you can’t answer without mentioning the above just don’t answer at all !

Hopefully you can grasp this subject matter now! But for me it has become repetitive! So this matter is now closed thanks to others who actually knew the etiquette on how forums actually work!

Safe driving Concerned Driver!

What you need to remember is that if you ask a question on an open forum, you don’t get to dictate any follow-up questions. I’m not sticking my nose into every driver’s business, I’m responding to someone who asked a specific question and someone who, at first glance, has the license but needs to ask what he needs.
If you consider follow up responses not to your liking as “sticking their nose in” then you have a lot to learn about open forums
Just because you didn’t get an answer doesn’t mean you get to decide its an irelevant response.
Hopefully you’ve now grasped why you got the response you did and will make yourself clearer in future

Rob range:

Hi Rob range,

The-Snowman and I both encountered your OP question, but we answered in different ways.

My observation that your question was unclear remains the case because “when you are ADR” has no meaning.

At that point (given the lack of clarity of what was being asked) I wonder how anybody was meant to give you the answer you sought??

My approach was to make the small assumption that your question was probably along the lines of ‘my boss has asked me to carry X number of gas cylinders/drums of diesel fuel’ (hence my questions about packages) so do I need an ADR licence? I made that assumption because that is the commonest form of question in my 15yrs of being an ADR instructor and DGSA, within which is 10yrs of answering ADR questions on here.

TBF mate, this cuts two ways because it was just about impossible for anybody (expert or otherwise) to give an answer due to the non-intentionally cryptic way that you asked the question. The fact that your question actually related to tankers (after some pulling of teeth) was somewhat surprising.
BTW, this isn’t a criticism… it’s simply an observation.

I’d also point out that it is a matter for the owner of the vehicle (ADR calls him the carrier) to employ a properly qualified DGSA whose legal duty it is to monitor and advise (in this case) the carrier.

:bulb: That saves the carrier from the trouble of having to google for info, which when obtained, he is ill equipped to evaluate or interpret to the given situation.

It is also a matter for the carrier to supply the driver with all the required PPE and equipment that was the subject of your question.

Rob range:

I had no expectation of prior knowledge or any training that you may or may not have had.

Dave’s ADR Trivia:
Once all the RDC waiting room myths, MMTM and other nonsense are stripped away from the job, the reality is that an employed driver has very little actual responsibility under ADR.