Employer paid most of cat C lessons/test

And in doing so have said I’ll be contracted in for two years, don’t see myself here for another two years (enjoy the job but the way the depot is ran, well we have a high turnover of staff!)

I haven’t signed anything to say I’d have to pay back the £1,190 for cat c lessons/test and CPC mod 4, I have signed something to say I’ll repay for CPC refresher training if I leave after having some refresher training.

Am I right in thinking if I was to leave within the next two years they have no right to ask or take any money off me?

If the 2 year agreement was agreed before the training took place it’s legally binding, but if your employer has decided that you’re contracted for 2 years since the training they haven’t got a leg to stand on.

Was there a verbal agreement made before the training started ?

Sent from my mobile.

Yes the two years was mentioned before the cat c lessons and test took place but no paper was signed saying so.

Only the CPC refresher training was signed saying I’d pay back if I left after having this training, which is just over £300.

Ghiabox:
Yes the two years was mentioned before the cat c lessons and test took place but no paper was signed saying so.

A verbal agreement/contract is binding just like a written one.

Sent from my mobile.

Oh really? Did not know that could hold up!

If it can be proved that a verbal agreement was made it’s as legal as a written agreement, obviously if there were no witnesses it’s hard to prove that a verbal agreement was made and the employer would be a bit daft to take it any further.

Having said that, you took the bosses money so why not now stick to the agreement you had, when people [zb] on these sort of agreements it just makes employers less likely to help anyone else by paying for the training.

I was never going to bail on them, I need experience first before anyone would take me on and it was agreed that if I do leave before the two years are up then I pay them back whats owed (on a sliding scale time served/amount owed)

All I will say though is the depot has a high volume of drivers coming and going, some are lazy and cant handle the job (drayman) others because they get ■■■■ on once or twice and miss seeing their kid(s) so find another job with better finish times, cant really argue with that one though.

Just leave,they can’t do jack…just trying to scare you into thinking they can.

Apart from admit on here he had a verbal contract…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

■■■■ it, should have thought about that. Seeing as we’re all friends here, can an admin delete this post :laughing:

Doesn´t matter what happens or what you do, they can´t take your licence away. That´s yours, not theirs.
Been having this discussion on me CPC hours course.
Bus companies do the same, apparently. Take you on, they pay for your Cat D, then you work for them for two years.
Sliding scale of payback etc.

General consensus is that if you find something else you would rather be doing…go for it. Try and dodge the bullet as long as you can, but pay up, in monthly payments, before you end up in court (if it ever comes to that).