Truck Shows and Tacho use

Hurryup&wait:
I’m siding with Tachograph on this one.

If driver is going to show on his own free will and not being paid to do so, he is out of scope in my humble opinion

If he is going to the show at employer request or on the payroll for the day then I would say in scope.

But what intrigues me in this discussion is the going down to the chippy referred to above.

Can a driver on his daily or weekly rest not put it out of scope and bounce/solo down to the chippy or whatever?

I would have thought he should be entitled to do so but if not perhaps I can be pointed in the direction of the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Very interesting about the chippy IMHO. :smiley:

I’d have thought that the exact answer might depend on a quotable court case that settled the issue, but I don’t know whether there is one.

As an interested amateur and having read the Regs and some TC’s decisions, there’s a well established problem for folks who have ‘missing’ mileage, so setting to out-of-scope to go to a chippy would seem to satisfy that point.

Then we can consider interruption of rest.
If a driver is freely disposing of his time in full compliance with the definition of ‘rest,’ then why can’t he set the tacho to out-of-scope to go to the chippy?

If I’m correct about the above, I don’t believe there’s an offence of Regs that’s caused by moving the vehicle.