Driver card query

A driver asked me a question…

He drives Monday to Friday on EU rules. He shares a hobby with a friend which will involve him driving a unit and trailer that belongs to his friend over some weekend periods taking his friends rally cars to shows and races.

Does he need to insert his driver digital card for his weekend hobby driving in the vehicle unit? If not should he keep a record of any weekend hobby driving?

J-BONE:
A driver asked me a question…

He drives Monday to Friday on EU rules. He shares a hobby with a friend which will involve him driving a unit and trailer that belongs to his friend over some weekend periods taking his friends rally cars to shows and races.

Does he need to insert his driver digital card for his weekend hobby driving in the vehicle unit? If not should he keep a record of any weekend hobby driving?

The only exemption for carrying goods on private work is for vehicles not exceeding 7.5t MAM, so he will be in-scope of EU regulations and as the vehicle is fitted with a digital tachograph he needs to use his driver card.

It goes without saying that he will also need to comply with all the drivers hours/tachograph regulations including the daily/weekly rest period requirements.

I also believe that the unit is taxed as PLG and not as a HGV.

Would this and the fact that the rally cars are not goods but personal possessions make the driving out of scope and no need to record his weekend hobby driving on a driver digi card?

My understanding is that PLG means vehicle who’s maximum gross weight do not exceed 3.5t, if that’s the case then it’s exempt from EU regulations because of the MGVW and exempt from UK domestic regulations because it’s not being used for hire or reward.

I was assuming we’re talking about an artic unit which is most likely to have a MAM of more than 3.5t, so what’s the MAM of the vehicle we’re talking about ?

By the way, for EU regulations a car being carried on a trailer would be classed as goods even though it belongs to the vehicle owner.

Thanks, I think there was enough information to make the driver think about it. Cheers