2018 New HGV Rules?

Was speaking to another driver and the new tacho rules came up in conversation. He said that From May 2018 you can’t be picked up any more from a 15 hour shift when running out of driving time, he said you have to stay in your cab for the required rest period and then you can drive back. As apparently you have start your next shift from where you took out your tachocard last.
Had a look on-line and all I could see was stuff regarding fines from a month back ect, nothing regarding this.
Sometimes my shifts are stretched to 15 when I get to Asda depot, and I would get picked up from asda by a car driver and he would drive me back to my depot and someone else would drive the HGV back as I’m out of hours. (this has only happend 2 times in over a year so a rare thing not a frequent thing) but my point is this other driver said “Nope, cant do that any more. You would have to stay in Asda depot for your 9 hour rest or 11 and then drive it back after that” but that rule just sounds like it would cause more problems that it would solve. any ideas?

No new rules. Running out of duty time and being picked up in a company vehicle has always been illegal. It happens of course, but it’s still illegal.

Edit to add; just to satisfy the pedants; if you run out of driving time BUT still have sufficient duty time left it is legal in that case to be collected by company vehicle.

Which RDC waiting room was this tale told :laughing:

You should of asked him what would happen if you ran out of hours for the week on your last shift :laughing:

Travelling to or from a vehicle that’s not at the drivers usual operating place or the drivers home cannot be counted as rest, so once you’ve completed a 13/15 hour shift you cannot legally be recovered by your company.
In practical terms this means that legally if you run out of time the next shift should start from where you ended the 13/15 hour shift.

It’s been like this since the current regulations came into force in 2006 so it’s nothing new.