Moving hazardous goods without ADR

dieseldave:

Frost89:

dieseldave:

Frost89:
whats the punishment? I work for a waste company and hold no adr, they were pushing me to pick up a 40yard bin of asbestos but I refused as I’m not licensed, they said it was fine as the likelyhood of me getting stopped was very thin and I could just say I didn’t know it was in there. Needless to say the bin didn’t get collected, if I had been caught carrying hazardous waste without the correct license or correct waste container what kind of punishment would I have been looking at?

Hi Frost89,

It’s not automatic that asbestos counts as dangerous goods, because there is an exemption from ADR if it’s coated with a binding agent.

You haven’t said how much actual asbestos (nett Kgs) was in the 40yd bin, or which type it was.

Some non bound asbestos can be carried without an ADR licence, but that depends on the UN number (if it has one) because some asbestos has a 333 Kg ‘freebie’ in ADR whilst another kind has a ‘freebie’ limit of 1,000Kg.

Sorry, but I can’t give you a better answer due to lack of info in your post.

I’ve no idea how much it was, it was off an ex WW2 raf gymnasium.

They had it labelled as concrete bonded asbestos, but I believe they changed it to that to make their records look good

Hi Frost89,

If they were going to give you paperwork that said it was concrete bonded, then it’s at their responsibility. Simple as.

ADR has this little gem called SP168:

ADR 2017 SP168 Asbestos which is immersed or fixed in a natural or artificial binder (such as cement, plastics,
asphalt, resins or mineral ore) in such a way that no escape of hazardous quantities of
respirable asbestos fibres can occur during carriage is not subject to the requirements of ADR.

From the info you’ve given, I’m not seeing a problem in you taking that load.

When it was my load it was mixed construction waste, it was only because I made a fuss after seeing asbestos that they changed the paperwork and gave it someone else. Thanks for the information Tho