Reduced weekly rest

Dear Experts and Drivers,

As I know in 2 consecutive fixed weeks I can do 1 reduced and 1 full weekly rest.
Would that be legal if I do on the 1st week on Monday and on Tuesday a full weekly rest then start my shift on Wednesday morning then Thursday on and Friday on and then Saturday off so do another reduced weekly rest on week 1. Then I start my 6 days working week on Sunday morning until Friday afternoon then I do another reduced weekly rest on Saturday on week 2 and then start the other working week on Sunday? So I have done a full and a reduced rest on fixed week 1 and a reduced rest on fixed week 2 but I started and finished my 6x24h working week with reduced rests. Will I need to compensate a reduced week rest on the fixed week 2 only as I had a full and reduced rest on the fixed week 1?

Thank you

Why are you saying you “must do” a reduced break in 2 fixed weeks? You don’t have to do a reduced at all.
Anyway less about that.
Right then,
Monday on
Tuesday on
Wednesday on
Thursday on
Friday on
Saturday off (reduced depending on what time you finish friday and what time you start sunday)
Sunday on
Monday on
Tuesday on
Wednesday on
Thursday on
Friday on
Saturday off
Sunday off
What I can’t work out, is how you are going to do a 45 hour break between Tuesday and Wednesday in week 1?

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

lizard:
Why are you saying you “must do” a reduced break in 2 fixed weeks? You don’t have to do a reduced at all.
Anyway less about that.
Right then,
Monday on
Tuesday on
Wednesday on
Thursday on
Friday on
Saturday off (reduced depending on what time you finish friday and what time you start sunday)
Sunday on
Monday on
Tuesday on
Wednesday on
Thursday on
Friday on
Saturday off
Sunday off
What I can’t work out, is how you are going to do a 45 hour break between Tuesday and Wednesday in week 1?

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Thanks for the answer.
So in 2 weeks time I must do least 1 full weekly rest and can do another reduced or full one. OK?
Week 1
Mon off (45 hours weekly rest)
Tue off (45 hours weekly rest)
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sat off (reduced weekly rest)
Sun on
Week 2
Mon on
Tue on
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sun on

Is that legal above? If so, do I have to compensate both of the reduced weekly rests.

Thanks

The second reduced is not legal. You need to have a 45 plus what you owe from the previous reduced.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

NorbertV:
Thanks for the answer.
So in 2 weeks time I must do least 1 full weekly rest and can do another reduced or full one. OK?
Week 1
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sun on
Week 2
Mon on
Tue on
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sun on

Is that legal above? If so, do I have to compensate both of the reduced weekly rests.

To be sure we would need to know what weekly rest period you had in the week or possibly weeks before week 1.

As long as the regular weekly rest period at the start of week 1 can be counted for week 1 that’s legal, and you do not need to compensate for the reduced weekly rest period on the first Saturday because you’ve also had a regular weekly rest period in the same week.

By the way, in week 2 you do 6 consecutive shifts so make sure there is no more than 144 hours from the start of the first shift on Sunday to the end of the shift on the Friday, though if you’re on days it won’t be a problem.

tachograph:

NorbertV:
Thanks for the answer.
Week 1
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sun on
Week 2
Mon on
Tue on
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sun on

To be sure we would need to know what weekly rest period you had in the week or possibly weeks before week 1.

As long as the regular weekly rest period at the start of week 1 can be counted for week 1 that’s legal, and you do not need to compensate for the reduced weekly rest period on the first Saturday because you’ve also had a regular weekly rest period in the same week.

By the way, in week 2 you do 6 consecutive shifts so make sure there is no more than 144 hours from the start of the first shift on Sunday to the end of the shift on the Friday, though if you’re on days it won’t be a problem.

The previous week I had 24h rest on Tuesday and Saturday as well, so I believe Tuesday counts as a reduced weekly rest and I have compensated to a full weekly rest with Saturday. I have started this 45 hours weekly rest at 18.45 on Sunday until 06.00 am on Wednesday.
Thank you for the useful response again, as usually. Even my transport manager at DHL was happy when I have showed him this site.

NorbertV:
The previous week I had 24h rest on Tuesday and Saturday as well, so I believe Tuesday counts as a reduced weekly rest and I have compensated to a full weekly rest with Saturday. I have started this 45 hours weekly rest at 18.45 on Sunday until 06.00 am on Wednesday.
Thank you for the useful response again, as usually. Even my transport manager at DHL was happy when I have showed him this site.

I was hoping you would say you had a regular 45 hour weekly rest period the week before week 1, without that I’m afraid there’s not enough information to say for certain whether or not what you’ve done is legal.

You need to trace your weekly rest periods back to the last time you had about 90 hours off and see if you can count a regular weekly rest period for every second week.

It can sometimes be possible to go 2 weeks with only reduced weekly rest periods but it can be complicated and in my opinion should be avoided if possible.

Generally it’s best to stick to at-least one regular weekly rest period every second week.

Is this how it went :question:

8 days before week 1
Sun on
Mon on
Tue off (reduced weekly rest)
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sat off (reduced weekly rest) - probably sorted out payback for above Tue off
Sun on
Week 1
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sat off (reduced weekly rest) extra so no payback needed
Sun on
Week 2
Mon on
Tue on
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sat off (reduced weekly rest) - payback needed
Sun on

If it was the above then it looks ok - regular weekly rest needed for week 3

Week before week 1 is reduced
week 1 is regular
week 2 is reduced

ROG:

8 days before week 1
Sun on
Mon on
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sun on
Week 1
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sun on
Week 2
Mon on
Tue on
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sun on

week 1 is regular
week 2 is reduced

Yes, that is the one. Thanks for a help again. :slight_smile:

ROG:

8 days before week 1
Sun on
Mon on
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sun on
Week 1
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sun on
Week 2
Mon on
Tue on
Wed on
Thu on
Fri on
Sun on

week 1 is regular
week 2 is reduced

That only works if he had a regular weekly rest the week before.

Without that information you can’t say whether it’s legal or not.

Sent from my mobile.

I was assuming that a regular was taken in the week before that list started

Perhaps the OP can confirm my assumption is correct - or not :question:

Hi all
I don’t think that this shift pattern is legal could you please tell if it is legal,
Mon Work
Tue Work
Wed Rest
Thur Work
Fri Work
Sat Work
Sun Rest
Mon Work

Can two reduced rest periods in the same week count as a regular weekly rest period
Thanks in advance Michael

Hi again
Forgot to mention my start times are 15.00 till 03.00
thanks again Michael.

michael59:
times are 15.00 till 03.00

Hi all
I don’t think that this shift pattern is legal could you please tell if it is legal,
Mon Work
Tue Work
Wed Rest
Thur Work
Fri Work
Sat Work
Sun Rest
Mon Work

Can two reduced rest periods in the same week count as a regular weekly rest period

NO is the answer to - Can two reduced rest periods in the same week count as a regular weekly rest period?

At least every other week must have a full 45 regular rest in it

michael59:
Hi all
Mon Work
Tue Work
Wed Rest
Thur Work
Fri Work
Sat Work
Sun Rest
Mon Work

As has been said 2 reduced weekly rest periods do not make a regular weekly rest period.

Whether or not that shift pattern is legal or not would depend on what weekly rest periods were taken in the preceding weeks.

Hi all, sorry to be a pain but I’m just about to do a second reduced rest on the bounce, and wanted to check all is legal.

I had 126 hrs rest over Easter thurs to Monday
Then 53 hrs 54 min break following weekend
54 hrs 29 the next weekend
Last weekend I had 40 hrs 33
I’m running in tomorrow (unplanned) and will start again 0400 Monday as of yet don’t know how Long but less than 45 more than 24.

So am I right in thinking I only need 45 hrs next weekend (which is bank holiday) so could again work Saturday leaving 45+ hrs for rest sat afternoon to tues

Thanks Daz

Slightchaf:
Hi all, sorry to be a pain but I’m just about to do a second reduced rest on the bounce, and wanted to check all is legal.

I had 126 hrs rest over Easter thurs to Monday
Then 53 hrs 54 min break following weekend
54 hrs 29 the next weekend
Last weekend I had 40 hrs 33
I’m running in tomorrow (unplanned) and will start again 0400 Monday as of yet don’t know how Long but less than 45 more than 24.

So am I right in thinking I only need 45 hrs next weekend (which is bank holiday) so could again work Saturday leaving 45+ hrs for rest sat afternoon to tues

Thanks Daz

Caveat - this reply is assuming all weekly rests included sunday midnight

EASTER 126 hours off = regular for week ending 01/04 + regular for week starting 02/04
53 hours off = regular for week starting 09/04
54 hours off = regular for week starting 16/04
40 hours off = reduced for week starting 23/04
less than 45 hours off this weekend 28/04 = reduced for no week and does not need compensating for
45+ hours off Mayday weekend = regular for week ending 06/05

LEGAL :smiley:

Thanks Rog.

Yes all over midnight just (0030-0130) but that’s what I thought, just needed to check as normally I follow the week on, week off rule and don’t want to come a cropper

Cheers Daz

If you have say 84 hours off on the Mayday weekend then that can be 45 for the week ending 06/05 and 39 for the week starting 07/05 if that is of any use to you as it means you could take as little as 24 off (counted for no week) on the weekend of the 13/05 followed by a 45+ off for the weekend of the 20/05