Is this the legal or not?

Your opinions please

Construction & Use states:

“Tread depth on heavy vehicles must not be less than 1mm at any point across a
continuous band covering at least 75% of the width of the tread around the
circumference of the tyre. (The minimum depth for lighter vehicles is 1.6mm).
The tread pattern must also be visible across the remainder of the tread”

Although the groves of this tyre meet the requirement, I’m not sure if the rest of the tyre does, as it clearly has a once treaded band that now has no tread visible

Is this tyre legal or not?

Would you take it on the road or not?

I refused to take it as I want sure

Thanks, Nez

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I’m no expert but I think that looks good to go if as says the tread depth is 3mm. The bits wearing out beside the tread are neither here nor there imo.

We had some brand new trailers delivered and the tyres looked a lot like this when brand new, more like something off of a race car tbh.

the maoster:
I’m no expert but I think that looks good to go if as says the tread depth is 3mm. The bits wearing out beside the tread are neither here nor there imo.

We had some brand new trailers delivered and the tyres looked a lot like this when brand new, more like something off of a race car tbh.

I know what you mean about the trailer tyres, but the fact that the tread pattern is no longer visible it’s what concerns me to it’s legality

“The tread pattern must also be visible across the remainder of the tread”

Clearly, from the photo, you can see that the tread pattern is not visible across that part of the tread, but not sure it applies, as the tread either side is above minimum requirements■■?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I know where you’re coming from there mate, I think it’s legal but it’s not my ■■■ on the line is it? My advice to you would be to pass your concerns up the foodchain (which to your credit you did) . A large proportion of this game now is covering your arse, if they say it’s good then happy days, if they say no then once again happy days, you’ve done your job right.

Call into an ATS tyre place for example and they will give you a legal definitive for FREE

ROG:
Call into an ATS tyre place for example and they will give you a legal definitive for FREE

Uh yeah, ok ROG… :unamused:

I would have taken it, because the actual tread pattern is afaik irrelevant, it’s the four deep troughs of tread that disperse the water and as they were at 3mm (2x over the legally permitted minimum tread depth limit) then it’s good to go imo.

Edit:
Thought I’d do a quick google search and it turned up this which backs up what I thought… staysuretyres.co.uk/tyre-law … wokingham/

NOTE: Exclusions from the definition of tread pattern are: – tie bars, tread wear indicators, any feature designed to wear out substantially before the main grooves

LGV test tyre safety question =

- Tell me how you would check your tyres to ensure that they are correctly inflated, have sufficient tread depth and that there general condition is safe to use on the road?
Follow manufacturer’s guide, using appropriate equipment, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold. Must have a tread depth of at least 1mm (1.6 for cars) across ¾ of the breadth of the tread and in a continuous band around the entire circumference. There should be no cuts, damage or signs of cord visible at the sidewalls.

How would you take it to ATS at 3 a.m. ROG? or how far do you deem acceptable to drive a possibly illegal vehicle/trailer to “get it checked at ATS” ?

Your problem ROG is you live in a text book, what’s written in a book/guide or whatever doesn’t necessarily translate well into the real world.

Reef:
How would you take it to ATS at 3 a.m. ROG? or how far do you deem acceptable to drive a possibly illegal vehicle/trailer to “get it checked at ATS” ?

Your problem ROG is you live in a text book, what’s written in a book/guide or whatever doesn’t necessarily translate well into the real world.

At 3am the driver has to make the decision

ROG:

Reef:

At 3am the driver has to make the decision

So you’re basically saying your advice of “take it to ATS” is completely useless unless of course it’s between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. and if the trailer is parked within say a couple of hundred yards of their premises ? Ok, got it, glad we cleared that up. :slight_smile:

Good to get advise from the experts if possible

And of course ATS would never just say it’s illegal to gain the sale of a truck tyre?

ROG:
Good to get advise from the experts if possible

Not sure if you completely missed the point or just ignored it.

DonutUK:
And of course ATS would never just say it’s illegal to gain the sale of a truck tyre?

Ahh look, a polar opposite of ROG, a realist :smiley:

NEVER had the likes of ATS or similar tell a lie to get a sale in over 20 years

ROG:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . I take it that you’ve never taken your car to Kwikfit for a new exhaust only to be informed by the acne riddled "technician " that he noticed that all your shock absorbers goosed also. Oh, and he noticed that your brake pads need replacing also. “Luckily for you Sir…”

the maoster:

ROG:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . I take it that you’ve never taken your car to Kwikfit for a new exhaust only to be informed by the acne riddled "technician " that he noticed that all your shock absorbers goosed also. Oh, and he noticed that your brake pads need replacing also. “Luckily for you Sir…”

That is why it is worth a second opinion

Which is exactly what the op was seeking! :wink:

the maoster:

No, he was seeking validation, being in need of an opinion would mean that he still hadn’t decided upon the outcome of taking it or not, seeing as the OP had already refused to take it means the decision is already made and nothing said by any of us (or the ATS fitter dragged out of bed in the middle of the night) is going to change anything. :wink:

Reef:

the maoster:

No, he was seeking validation, being in need of an opinion would mean that he still hadn’t decided upon the outcome of taking it or not, seeing as the OP had already refused to take it means the decision is already made and nothing said by any of us (or the ATS fitter dragged out of bed in the middle of the night) is going to change anything. :wink:

Other trucks on our fleet have the same tyre wear pattern. My concern is not only the risk of taking a potentially dodgy tyre on the road, but also of (again) refusing to take out a truck when it’s tyres are acceptable.

At the moment, I’m unsure where I stand.

Surely if the manufacturer has designed in the tread feature that had worn away, it is there for a reason. If it is no longer present through wear, would that not class as the tread not being complete across the full width of the tyre?

I don’t want to defect trucks for no good reason (and create a rod for my own back!) anymore than I want to take a defective vehicle onto the road.

Opinions are exactly what I’m after. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I think that tyre’s legal myself.

It’s clear that those slits are intended to wear out before the main grooves, I could be wrong but I think those slits between the grooves are to help with noise reduction, but don’t hold me to that :wink:

Section 27 - The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

“tread pattern” means the combination of plain surfaces and grooves extending across the breadth of the tread and
round the entire outer circumference of the tyre but excludes any—
(i) tie bars or tread wear indicators;

(ii) features which are designed to wear out substantially before the rest of the pattern under normal conditions
of use; and

(iii) other minor features; and
“tread wear indicator” means any bar, not being a tie-bar, projecting from the base of a groove of the tread pattern of
a tyre and moulded between two or more features of the tread pattern of a tyre for the purpose of indicating the extent
of the wear of such tread pattern.