Weekend Reduction and Payback

Could someone confirm if I am correct or not, I’ve been driving for almost 20 years and for the past 15 European work, I am usually switched on when it comes to Drivers Hours but I’ve got into a debate where it’s left me questioning if my understanding is legal.
A reduced weekly rest can be paid back at any point up to and including the 3rd weekend ( 4th if you include the reduced weekend ) with the reduced hours added to a daily rest of 9hrs / 11hrs or a weekly rest of 45hrs.
For example if I reduce by 3 hours I can take a 12hr or 14hr daily rest or a weekend rest of 48hrs.
A work colleague has stated I am wrong and any compensation MUST be 21hrs regardless of reduction and added to a 45 with a minimum daily break of 9hrs on top equating to a 75hr weekly rest period, which in itself sounds a tad wrong, he backs this up with “I’m friends with people high up in DVSA” which is the point which makes me question myself.
Nowhere in DVSA or FTA publications have I found his explanation to be correct and I have attached the links to those I follow :-

fta.co.uk/_galleries/downloa … graphs.pdf

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … -rules.pdf

As far as I’m aware both these publications are up to date with gov.uk being updated March 2017.
Another problem is that he is quite influential amongst the drivers and a lot follow his guidance, I’ve questioned his knowledge but he is quick to start referring to his source.

You are correct in that a reduction must be made up “en bloc” in one go, ie, not an hour here and an hour there, but in one go. It must also be attached to a regular break ie 11 or 45 hours, you cannot attach it to a reduced (9 hour) rest period. You also only need to pay back the amount reduced, so if you reduce by 3 hours then you need either a 14 hour daily rest or a 48 hour weekly rest.

Cheers, it got me questioning myself as wether I was correct, but he’s quite forthright a bit like the Spitefire Pilot coach drivers on the ferries.

the maoster:
You are correct in that a reduction must be made up “en bloc” in one go, ie, not an hour here and an hour there, but in one go. It must also be attached to a regular break ie 11 or 45 hours, you cannot attach it to a reduced (9 hour) rest period. You also only need to pay back the amount reduced, so if you reduce by 3 hours then you need either a 14 hour daily rest or a 48 hour weekly rest.

You can attach it to a 9 hour rest period.

See page 22…fta.co.uk/_galleries/downloa … graphs.pdf

bald bloke:

the maoster:

You can attach it to a 9 hour rest period.

See page 22…fta.co.uk/_galleries/downloa … graphs.pdf

Cheers BB, did not know that. Everyday is a school day as they say. :wink:

Any “payback” of a reduction has to be made in one black. Think of it as a LOAD that has to be repaid in one payment rather than several instalments.

Article 8(7) of the Drivers Hours rules EC561/2006 states that any compensation made for a reduced Weekly rest period can be attached to another Rest Period of at least 9 hours.

Therefore any Legal Daily and Weekly Rest period of any duration can be use as the “attachment point”.

Thats the Law and NOT rumour.

Maigret:
Any “payback” of a reduction has to be made in one black. Think of it as a LOAD that has to be repaid in one payment rather than several instalments.

Article 8(7) of the Drivers Hours rules EC561/2006 states that any compensation made for a reduced Weekly rest period can be attached to another Rest Period of at least 9 hours.

Therefore any Legal Daily and Weekly Rest period of any duration can be use as the “attachment point”.

Thats the Law and NOT rumour.

Cheers, I know how the en bloc rule works, in fact I’ve been right all the while, but began to question myself because I’ve been advised by a work colleague I’m doing it wrong and his way is the correct way.
I’ve only been at this firm a few months and keep myself to myself as it’s easiest, I don’t like to be part of cliques etc, but when I’m pulled by one of the longer serving drivers and told my method is incorrect and he has it written down from asenior member of the DVSA he’s friends with, and his method is never questioned by management, I thought I’d missed a publication.
But it would appear he’s got his feet under the table with a cushy number getting a 75 hour weekend and is scared he’ll lose it

You need to tell your work colleague he’s a muppet :smiley: