EU/domestic rule

A question about EU and domestic rule about daily duty limit.

So, if I drive a 7.5T on that day, I’m subject to EU rule and I can do a 15 hours shift as I’m taking reduced daily rest, as long as all rest and breaks are complied.

However, if I drive a 3.5T, I’ll go under domestic rule which has 11 hours daily duty limit.

I just get my HGV licence and still have my 10 hours non driving contract on a day. Going to do 4 hours driving overtime before I start my shift to get driving experience. I’ll get 2 hours break time in total which leave me 12 hours duty time.

Does it means I can only drive 7.5T on that day and make sure I don’t drive over 4 hours on 3.5T which exempt me from domestic 11 hours duty rule?

Just can’t get my head around it as you can work on a 7.5T but can’t do 3.5T for over 11 hours duty. EU rule take priority over domestic rule but in this case domestic rule is tighter than EU rule…

Sent from my HTC One M9PLUS using Tapatalk

When coming under both sets of rules on the same shift the EU regs take preference over domestic in regards to total shift time

It would be a bit silly to say that a driver can do a 9 hours drive with 2 hours other work between 6am and 6pm on eu regs but then cannot drive a 3.5 van from 6pm to 7pm which is why the eu regs take preference

If I’m understanding your question correctly, you have a none driving job and you want to do a 4 hour shift on either domestic or EU regulations before starting your none driving shift.

From what you’ve said you would only be able to legally drive in-scope of EU regulations because both shifts would put you over the UK domestic regulations duty limit.
(caveat: If you don’t drive for more than 4 hours a day and don’t go outside of a 50km radius you’re exempt from keeping records for UK domestic regulations so no-one will know what you’re doing unless you tell them :wink: )

Legally when working to both EU regulations and UK domestic regulations on the same day both sets of regulations must be complied with.

• Any driving or other work done in-scope of EU regulations counts as driving and duty time for the UK domestic regulations.
  • Any driving done in-scope of EU regulations counts as driving for the UK domestic regulations.
  • The UK domestic regulations duty time limit should always be complied with.

Basically if you drive in-scope of both EU regulations and UK domestic regulations on the same day you’re restricted to 11 hours duty time.

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … ic-driving

Thanks, I think I’m going to stick to 7.5T for EU only and stay away from 4 hours 3.5T van. No domestic rule for me.

Sent from my HTC One M9PLUS using Tapatalk

Seems my take on this was all wrong !

Live and learn :smiley: