Laws on 3.5 Tonne Truck Car Movements

Hi Everyone.
I would like some information on the following - I have been looking on the DVLA Gov Website, I am interested in starting a part time business moving cars from A - B, I already have some contacts in Dealerships and some garages, I have spoken with them and they would be happy to send some work in my direction.
I have held a class 1 LGV licence since the 80s therefore have some knowledge around driving.
I note that on the GOV website the following - If over 3.5 Tonne an O Licence would be required for vehicle movement, okay so I get that part, the part I am struggling with is as follows -

"You need a licence to carry goods in a lorry, van or other vehicle with either:
a gross plated weight (the maximum weight that the vehicle can have at any one time) of over 3,500 kilograms (kg)
an unladen weight of more than 1,525 kg (where there is no plated weight)
i] - gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicl … r/overview
After some research into 3.5 Recovery vehicles they seem to be around 2 Tonne unladen ! Id like to know which 3.5 GVW Vehicles only weigh up to 1525kg unladen, Is there such a vehicle ? I have found so far that the 3.5 Fiat Ducato is around the lightest unladen at around 1900kg.
Any information on this would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance -
Alan
I’m hoping I have this wrong as it doesent seem to make sense as in - A vehicle weighing 1525kg could potentially carry another vehicle weighing almost 2 tonne on board, meaning the carried vehicle would be heavier than the recovery vehicle although still within the law as long as its under 3.5…

The aren’t about that’s why most stick to the lightest they can find and watch what they put on the back

Testcard:
I’m hoping I have this wrong as it doesent seem to make sense as in - A vehicle weighing 1525kg could potentially carry another vehicle weighing almost 2 tonne on board, meaning the carried vehicle would be heavier than the recovery vehicle although still within the law as long as its under 3.5…

Having the vehicle lighter than the load is a common place occurrence, although not so much at the small end of the car transporter world.

I think you’ve miss interpreted the laws here. The bit about 1525kg is from along time ago and doesn’t really apply anymore because of the “where there is no plated weight” bit, any modern vehicle will have a plated weight. It might be listed as “Revenue Weight” in the log book. A diesel Mondeo is about as heavy as you can carry on most van based transporters, provided the driver’s not too fat.

If you have Class 1 entitlement you are better off using a braked 3.5t trailer behind a 4x4 that should give you a payload of about 2.5t and you can carry all the tools and passengers you want as well.

Big burner:
If you have Class 1 entitlement you are better off using a braked 3.5t trailer behind a 4x4 that should give you a payload of about 2.5t and you can carry all the tools and passengers you want as well.

That brings it over the 3.5 tonnes MAM so into the EU tacho regs unless an exemption applies

ROG:

Big burner:

That brings it over the 3.5 tonnes MAM so into the EU tacho regs unless an exemption applies

Yes you would need a tacho fitting, but you would be exempt from needing an O Licence

Technically since 2010 any vehicle used for “hire and reward” with a GTW over 3.5t fitted with a tow bar requires a tacho to be fitted regardless of whether it has a trailer. I’m not sure if there has ever been any prosecutions though.