Entitlement after surrendering HGV licence

Hi All,
I am hoping someone can please enlighten me, I am a 63 year old truck driver and due to a very recent heart attack I am having to wait for around 4/6 weeks under my doctors discretion and surprisingly not having to notify DVLA as to whether I can drive my car again, hopefully that shouldn’t be a problem, my main concern is that being 63 and driving trucks since 1975 I’m thinking it’s time to hang up the gloves, as I also understand it can be a bit of a roller coaster getting my HGV back.
Now here’s my main concern if I surrender my HGV Class 1 do I get to keep the 1997 entitlement to drive up to 7.5 tons only I have just purchased a motor home 3.35 unladen to 4.25 Mas. (And does not being a goods vehicle make a difference)
I would appreciate your opinion on this please as I have checked DVLA and many other sites and found nothing.
Sorry its a bit long winded.
Many thanks
CC2013

If DVLA consider you have a medical issue then it is very likely that they will only let you have A, B and BE

If DVLA are not involved and you just elect not to renew the D4 medical then it is likely that you get to retain all pre 1997 entitlements

If the motorhome has less than 10 seats in total then it comes under LGV licence rules

If the DVLA medical branch get involved, they may well also pull your BE entitlement. That’s what happened to my wife when they put her on a 3 year licence renewal (due to MS though, not heart problems).

I’d agree with Rog that the best approach would be to simply allow the C and CE groups to lapse, which would leave you with C1 and B/BE as well as whatever motorcycle groups you currently hold. This would continue until age 75 under current rules.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
… This would continue until age 75 under current rules.

Age 70

Where did I get 75 from? Must be getting absent-minded as I get older… :blush:

Hi,
I would just like to thank you all for you time, your answers were similar to those i had in mind but I do appreciate other opinions to help me make a more positive decision.
Many thank
CC2013