Tacho Query

If you are employed by a company say as a scaffolder or you maybe drive a vehicle to deliver goods because you are building something, what tacho records do you have to keep?

My understanding is that there is a derogation and you don’t need to use the tacho, is this correct? Is there any difference if the vehicle is 7.5 tonne or above?

The exemption you’re referring to is this:

Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissible mass
not exceeding 7.5 tonnes that are used for carrying materials, equipment
or machinery for the driver’s use in the course of their work and which
are used only within a 100 km radius from the base of the undertaking and
on the condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver’s
main activity.

This would apply to tradesmen such as electricians or builders carrying tools or materials for their own use.

tachograph:
The exemption you’re referring to is this:

Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissible mass
not exceeding 7.5 tonnes that are used for carrying materials, equipment
or machinery for the driver’s use in the course of their work and which
are used only within a 100 km radius from the base of the undertaking and
on the condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver’s
main activity.

This would apply to tradesmen such as electricians or builders carrying tools or materials for their own use.

Great - thanks.

And in the event of a vehicle going outside the 100k radius, what’s the score there, please?

I’m sure that Dvsa have said that there is a total exemption in place but this was quite a long time ago now.

As far as I’m aware if you go outside the 100k limit the whole journey comes in-scope of EU regulation, Off hand I’m not aware of any UK derogation that overrides the 100k rule.

Most scaffolding lorries near me are over 7.5 tonnes GVW - what is the GVW of your lorry :question:

Not been on for a while but great to see ROG & TACHOGRAPH still making their top notch contributions.

Just a side point re this question. Whilst the derogation may permit non observance of EC Regs, there is every possibility that the “driver” in this case could still be governed by GB Domestic Regs and may not be exempted from Domestic Record keeping depending on activity levels.

ROG:
Most scaffolding lorries near me are over 7.5 tonnes GVW - what is the GVW of your lorry :question:

7.5 tonne.

Maigret:
Not been on for a while but great to see ROG & TACHOGRAPH still making their top notch contributions.

Me too and absolutely.