tacho questions

Hi All

Not a first day tacho user but call me a random tacho user. The last time I used my tacho was in 2016 in another EU country. I am about to start tacho driving again and so there is a 5 month gap since I last used it. Can you confirm that I should mode rest and not other work. (?) I have never used the question mode as I understood it to mean working with analogue and digital tachos / time un-accounted for.

Also when I first got my tacho card I was green and on one occasion in 2015 I infringed by 20 mins due to a major diversion central London. Yes my oversight and newbie stupidity. Will this show on a download in 2017 or will it be unmarked history now?

One more help please. Whats the best way to see how many hours you have driven in a working week when not in the vehicle. Manual record keeping? or app?

Thanks.

Jex

Jex:
Not a first day tacho user but call me a random tacho user. The last time I used my tacho was in 2016 in another EU country. I am about to start tacho driving again and so there is a 5 month gap since I last used it. Can you confirm that I should mode rest and not other work. (?) I have never used the question mode as I understood it to mean working with analogue and digital tachos / time un-accounted for.

It depends on wha tyou’ve been doing for the last 5 months,

• if you haven’t been working you should put the time since the card was last ejected as rest.
  • If you have been working at any time you should use the ? symbol for all the time since the card was ejected.

The ? symbol means time that cannot be accounted for on a digital tachograph, for instance,

• if you’ve been working outside of the transport industry you can’t legally say that you’ve been on rest because you haven’t so you use the ? symbol
  • If you’ve been using an analogue tachograph or log book you can’t say you’ve been on rest so you use the ? symbol.

Jex:
Also when I first got my tacho card I was green and on one occasion in 2015 I infringed by 20 mins due to a major diversion central London. Yes my oversight and newbie stupidity. Will this show on a download in 2017 or will it be unmarked history now?

It depends on how much you’ve used the driver card since the infringement, the driver card will hold data until the memory chip is full then the data gets overwritten, generally for someone driving 5 or 6 days a week the card will hole several months of data so there’s every chance that the infringement will still be on your card.
Don’t worry about it though because no-ones going to care about it now.

Jex:
Whats the best way to see how many hours you have driven in a working week when not in the vehicle. Manual record keeping? or app?

There are mobile apps such as Trucker Timer available or you could keep a record in a notebook.

As this post has nothing to do the the thread you posted it in I’ve split it to a new thread.

Thanks. That’s very helpful. I have not worked in a tacho environment for the last 5 months so I’ll use the ? mode to cover the time past. However I have worked as a bus driver on domestic rules. I assume that does not count and I can still enter ? mode for the past 5 months?
I have downloaded truck timer thanks.
Feel better knowing I’m not a wanted driver thanks

Jex

Jex:
However I have worked as a bus driver on domestic rules. I assume that does not count and I can still enter ? mode for the past 5 months?

Yes, that’s one of the situations the ? symbol is for.