Weekend work

Hi all, couple months ago passes my c+e which work has payed for :smiley: , Working as a tree surgeon for the local authority I’m only driving 5t tippers towing chippers. Need to stay with the company for 18 months so I don’t have to pay the cost of training back, but don’t want to loose the skills I have learnt as I would love to driving class 1’s for a living (childhood dream) . I work 37hours a week but driving too and from site which is about 2 hours max a day using a logbook to record driving hours (even though I have a taco card). Due to do working rest hours is it right that I will be able to do every other Saturday or may be friday night and Saturday? As I will be visiting all my local companies for any work soon I almost would like to know if it would be possible
Thanks all.

As you’re on domestic regulations there’s a few things you need to be clear about.

Mixed driving (UK domestic and EU rules) in the same week.

• In any week that you do anyt driving in-scope of EU regulations the weekly rest requirement must be complied with.
  • All work including driving under domestic rules counts as other work when you drive in-scope of EU regulations.
  • Driving done in-scope of EU regulations counts as driving for the UK domestic regulations.

Without knowing what time you finish on Friday and restart on Monday (that’s assuming you work Monday to Friday) it’s not possible to say what shifts you could do at the weekends, but generally people who work in other jobs Monday to Friday can do one shift every second week.

When you talk about working Friday night you will need to be very careful, driving in-scope of EU regulations counts as driving for the domestic regulations, as I’m sure you’re aware under the domestic rules you can drive for a maximum of 10 hours in the period of 24 hours, so if you did say 8 hours driving for the council on Friday starting at 08:00 you’re restricted to another 2 hours before 08:00 Saturday.

Mixing EU regulations and UK domestic regulations in the same week can require a bit more thought than working to just one set of regulations.

Mixed EU/AETR and Great Britain domestic driving

This is hardly a question for the new drivers forum so I’ll move it to the Safety, Law and working Time Directive Forum

Thanks for the reply tachograph,
My working hours are Mon-Thurs 0730 till 1615 and friday 0730 till 1315. Driving isn’t the main part of my job as spent most of it swinging around in trees with a chainsaw. On average I drive about 6-10 hours a week.
Cheers.

andrewd9912:
Thanks for the reply tachograph,
My working hours are Mon-Thurs 0730 till 1615 and friday 0730 till 1315. Driving isn’t the main part of my job as spent most of it swinging around in trees with a chainsaw. On average I drive about 6-10 hours a week.
Cheers.

Every Friday you can drive under EU regs until 2230
You can drive every other Saturday under EU regs
OR
You could do Friday night 2215 to Saturday 1030 every week