Adr ltd quantity adr

can any one help me regrads adr. i know the basics adr is anything dangerour liquids gasses etc.

but what is limited quantity adr? can this be carried if you dont hold a adr licence? is there any type quanitity of adr you can carry without a licence?

edd1974:
can any one help me regrads adr. i know the basics adr is anything dangerour liquids gasses etc.

Hi edd1974,

Dangerous goods are regulated by a set of Regs called ADR, which say which rules apply to which substance(s) when carried by road vehicles.

Depending on the particular substance and the way in which it is to be carried (in packages or tanks,) then some of ADR’s rules will apply to any job involving the carriage of goods that are legally defined as ‘dangerous.’

edd1974:
but what is limited quantity adr? can this be carried if you dont hold a adr licence? is there any type quanitity of adr you can carry without a licence?

ADR has a number of exemptions that can be used quite legally so that a non-ADR trained driver can carry some dangerous goods.

You asked about Limited Quantity (LQ.)
The LQ exemption is mostly used for the retail trade, which means that the dangerous goods to be carried are of a kind that a member of the public can legally buy in a retail shop, such as a garden centre, builder’s merchant or hardware store.

Examples of dangerous goods carried as LQs for retailing include such things as Paints, Adhesives, Ink, batteries, hair dye, nail polish, cosmetics, weedkiller, paraffin and fertiliser, but there are lots more.

Once it’s going for retail sale, the dangerous goods that are allowed to be carried in this way must be packaged correctly, either in boxes (max 30kg) or stretch wrapped trays (max 20kg.)
The inner tubs/tins/bottles are restricted to a maximum size (either 5L or 6kg,) but depending on the particular substance, the size limit for the tubs/tins/bottles may be a lot less.

As an employed driver, none of this is your problem and you’re not answerable if the sender or your boss gets it wrong.

Dangerous goods packaged as LQs must have this label (100mm X 100mm) on the box/tray:

LQ.gif

As a driver carrying LQs, you need to have had some ADR ‘awareness’ training, which has been documented, but this does NOT mean an ADR licence.

One other thing also applies:
If your vehicle is legally allowed to be >12t AND you have more than 8t of LQ goods loaded, THEN (and only then) you need to mark the vehicle.

The vehicle marking (called a placard) for a vehicle **>**12 GVW when carrying **>**8t of LQs is the same as the label above, but it must be of 250mm X 250mm size. In this case, you should place one on the front of the vehicle and one on the rear.

LQs are best thought of as a form of package for retailing to the public in a shop.

That’s it for LQs. :smiley:

:bulb: If the packages you’re asking about are bigger than I’ve described above (eg; large drums, jerricans, IBCs, boxes or crates) then we’re NOT talking about LQs, but there are other exemptions for some of those.

======================================

BTW, if the only markings on the packages look like these:

Hazardous.jpg

They’re only ‘hazardous,’ which means that anybody can carry them without any restriction of size/amount or awareness training or placards.