Written record

An experienced driver at work told me I need to keep written record of hours worked and breaks taken, I thought this was only needed if i drive vehicle without tacho like van ?

I stick to using an application on my PDA, that record all of my details but I have to hand if required. My current job is on digi cards. But my next one sounds like it will be on paper tachos so I expect I will have to keep better records.

All you really need to do, is carry a diary with you, like the A5 ones, that allow you to write in details such as company, vehicle Reg and details, start mileage, and milage, Brief description of your run, start and end times. If you wanted to you could also note whether or not it was a 13 or 15 hour shift, nine or 10 hour drive, and how much break you took off the night before.

wolves:
An experienced driver at work told me I need to keep written record of hours worked and breaks taken, I thought this was only needed if i drive vehicle without tacho like van ?

He’s wrong and you’re right, all your work activities should be on your driver card or charts, the only written records you’re legally need to keep are any legally required manual entries written on printouts and records of days work when a tachograph or log book wasn’t used.

Some people choose to keep records in a notebook or diary for their own use, this can be particularly useful for agency drivers who work for different companies and may on occasions have a dispute with the agency or client about hours worked, but it’s not legally required.