FEL licence or not?

Hi.Just wondering if I would require a specific licence to operate a Front End Loader in a aggregate recycling yard.
The machine is presently used to load 8 wheeler tippers and members of the public (their own vehicles,transit pick ups etc…)
Many thanks.

There are no licences as such for plant. You must however comply with LOLER. PUWER and HSE rules, which basically say you must be trained and assessed as competent. The syllabus and assessing bodies for certain plant are fixed, for example a forklift. You can be trained and assessed in house (subject to a qualified assessor) and be fine to operate the machinery at that site. The industry accepted qualification is CITB Wheeled Loading Shovel which can be used to get your CPCS red card, you can then work pretty much anywhere. The CITB training is fairly expensive (£1000+) but there are normally grants available to an employer.

My knowledge of plant rules isn’t that current so the above is guidance only. I even thought a FEL was a dustcart?

Thank you for your reply Big Burner.
Maybe I should have described the machine as a Lorry Loader (the type that loads trains with coal and lorries with salt etc)
I may have the chance to join a company with this type of machine,and the boss told me that I would not need a licence to operate it.
I would obviously require some sort of training by a competant person before I could operate it.
Would this then require me to be issued with some form of competancy certificate?