Driver card not recording?

I have a driver that looks to have driven 2 consecutive days without a card in. Tacho analysis shows 2 days unaccounted mileage on separate vehicles. The only thing throwing up some doubt on a technical point is that the heads do not show ‘error 28 driving without card’ in the event logs. Two different lorries, so have ruled out tacho head fault. Has anyone heard of a driver card intermittently not recording activity? The tachograph manufacturer tell me if the vehicle was driven without a card it would have logged as error 28 and only a tacho technician can clear the log.

Any ideas anyone please?

Have you downloaded the drivers card as well as the tachograph head?

Saratoga:
Have you downloaded the drivers card as well as the tachograph head?

+1 as if the card was inserted wrong , tacho just spits it back out , well worth downloading card
Also do a head down load of any trucks he’s driven

It’s not unheard of for a tachograph not to record to the driver card but it usually throws up an error 50 on the tachograph screen, it happens if the memory chip on the driver card is dirty/greasy so can’t be written to.

I’ve never heard of it happening intermittently during a journey but I wouldn’t rule out the possibility, I’ve had it happen a couple of times when I’ve inserted the card, a quick wipe of the memory chip surface has resolved the problem on each occasion.

You didn’t put it in slot 2 did you by mistake

nick2008:

I’m pretty certain that would flash up a driving without card error.

tachograph:

nick2008:

This does indeed flash up card error. In defence of the driver I have tried my driver card every way up in both slots. On all occasions it is obvious the card is not where it should be.
All our cards are downloaded weekly, its only when i have downloaded the head data that the analysis software identified the unaccounted miles.

It looks like an open and shut case of driving deliberately without a card in, but I just want to eliminate any possibility of a card fault, which is the only remaining possible alternative, before proceeding with the driver.

Plongy:

tachograph:

nick2008:

This does indeed flash up card error. In defence of the driver I have tried my driver card every way up in both slots. On all occasions it is obvious the card is not where it should be.
All our cards are downloaded weekly, its only when i have downloaded the head data that the analysis software identified the unaccounted miles.

It looks like an open and shut case of driving deliberately without a card in, but I just want to eliminate any possibility of a card fault, which is the only remaining possible alternative, before proceeding with the driver.

It’s sad that your now put in a position now of what to do with driver , but it’s your O licence you’ve got to protect
I do hope for both parties it a faulty card