Commercial LGV learner with no DQC = legal?

Had a call this morning posing an interesting question which neither I nor the Driver CPC hotline can come up with a definitive answer to so perhaps someone on here can help :question:

General haulier delivering goods for others
Company insurance ok
Driving licence regulations complied with

Scenario -
L plates on LGV C vehicle doing commercial deliveries
25 year old LGV C provisional in driving seat so no DQC but has valid digicard
40+ year old with full LGV C for well over 3 years in passenger seat but no DQC or digicard (never had either)

40+ year old will not be doing any driving- just supervising for licence purposes

This used to be legal before DCPC but is it now :question:

Rog, I am certainly no expert but I honestly can’t see how this would be interpreted as legal. I know there is an exception for driving which is preparing for,or taking a test so the driver might argue that this applies to him or her,but the base requirement is that a DQC is required when driving a lorry makes up part of your main job. Therefore it could be argued (i would think) that if the trainee is an employee of the company, and delivering goods then this is the main part of his job. I don’t see that he could argue that he was employed to learn how to drive the lorry. Having said that I,d repeat that this is only my opinion, I don’t claim to be an expert.

Emailing got the answer

Dear Roger
Thank you for your email of 13 March regarding the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC).
We can confirm that drivers undergoing training for licence acquisition purposes do not require a CPC.
However, the driver may not make commercial deliveries while undergoing training.
If you have any further queries relating to this matter, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Regards
Chris
CPC R&E Section
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Eastgate House, Manors Business Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 6PB
Phone: 0300 123 7721
Email: CPCRE@dvsa.gov.uk

This means that the learner apprenticeship type of training some may have had the option of doing in the past is no longer legal

Good evening Roger,
You may be the man to answer this question !!!
A car driver with an auto licience takes his LGV test on an Auto box truck and passes.
Q: can he drive a manual box truck, or does he need to upgrade his car licience to do so.?
Thank you in advance mate.
Harvey

No, if he’s never passed any kind of test in a manual then he will be limited to auto boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk