Safety Camera [mobile] digi tacho evidence

I have been accused of doing 55mph on the A96 here in Scotland, I noted my speed on the approach and as I passed the camera van at 42mph and also noted the time. Two days later my company got the letter saying there vehicle was photographed doing 55mph TWO minutes earlier that the time on my tacho and I downloaded my details and it confirmed I was doing between 46 and 40mph at the time I say I passed the said van. Has anybody else used the tacho to defend their speeding? or is it going to be my word against theirs ]scenario. This is really important because I’m sitting on 9 points

I can’t help regards the taco defence but it sounds like you should be requesting that they send the photo to make sure you are in it. Have read in the past about dirty plates being misread by the computer.

Nothing to lose there.

Also ask for the calibration certificate whilst your at it

i dont imagine they will be the slightest bit concerned about any tacho evidence as it onny counts if it suits them.itl have nipped you the instant the camera picked your plate up,not what speed you were doing after you saw the van and braked as they tend to sit in blindspots to make sure they get maximum revenue…i went through one a while ago and asked them if it was me or my misses as i told them we both may have been driving to the extent of…if it was an old grumpy looking git,it was me,and if it was a blonde barbie doll it was my misses…and i didnt want the wrong person to say they were driving in case i was picking the wrong driver :wink: …they pulled the pic…they pulled the video,and came back with the answer…we dont know as we cant make out if the the driver is male or female.this was in a jag coming round a blend in the normal flow of traffic along with everyone else doing 40 in a 30 eventually going within 8 feet of the van…even if you dont get an awareness course.( the biggest waste of 4 hours of your life 2nd only to the dcpc),then lie through your teeth with hardship,and caring for your blind crippled muslim granny etc and you wont get banned anyway…depending on who your boss is,then it could be another of those offences that jakobski kawalski who worked for a cl of days before going back to cabbageland did…goodluck anyway…

You could use the tachograph speed trace as your defence, but in order to do so you’ll have to let them summons you to court (if you’re currently on 9 points it’ll be going to court anyway).

It could blow up in your face though. I’m not familiar with the roads North of the border, but if there are no dual carriageways within a few miles and the speed trace shows that you were indeed on the limiter a couple of minutes earlier or later than the time recorded on the photo…? You’d probably need to have the speed trace forensically examined and matched to the route you took that day (just as the Police do when investigating fatal collisions etc, to show how the vehicle was being driven in the minutes leading up to the incident). Could be expensive - but worth every penny if it gets you to keep your licence.

Also bear in mind that the time on your tachograph may not be spot-on (likewise the time recorded on the speed camera), so that 2 minute discrepancy is neither here nor there.

Bottom line is that I think you need to at least speak to a solicitor who is experienced in this field.

Sent using smoke and mirrors

Thanks for all the replies, most helpful and yes getting solicitor its the only way, not going to fight it going for hardship plea quicker and it won’t ■■■■ them off as arguing tends to do. Sooner this bloody country falls into line with rest of UK and ups the limit to 50 the better.