Working at height

Hi All,

How do you protect a driver working at height properly? Hear me out … I work in construction so generally they use handrails and other edge protection or harnesses to comply with working at height regs.

With other sectors this is not realistic. I am thinking say multi-drop driver of curtainsiders. How do you protect a driver unloading via pallet truck to the side of the vehicle with no edge protection?

Just hoping you guys have seen some good ideas on your travels.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a driver with common sense

unfortunately the HSE won’t allow us to use that lol … personally i would prefer not to be strapped to anything but leaves you open for a big fine these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prior to this game, I used to work in construction, and now transport. Transport is generally behind (which is usually a good thing!) except when loading / unloading at bigger sites, or anything in London.

Some wont let you on the back of the truck incase you fall off which makes life difficult at times, but I guess its alright to chuck straps over the load without being able to able the other side.

London ones generally require side bars and straps, just make sure you dont fall between them. Oh and its often the first thing they remove at site to get it off with the forklift. Dont forget to fall on your head with your hard hat, even if it falls off.

Multidrop…you’re jumping on and off, dodging the forklift and trying not to fall off the taillift. Basically everything you would get banned for doing on sites, but it outside a house so no risk assessment, H&S bod or working at height regulations (written anyway).

Still here…just about. :slight_smile:

I think the simplest thing which can be done is to paint what might be called the start of the danger zone with a yellow line, like at the edge of a railway station platform. At the rear a hatched area in which the driver should be the headboard side of the pallet (pallets 23 and 24 do cause a problem). Small floor-area tail lifts are probably the biggest hazard for unloading pallets with a pump truck. Apart from this instructions not to walk backwards and to level the floor are the obvious others.