Driving with out a digital card

Guys
we have a driver who has driven without a Digi card for one day , yes i know its against the law but this guy have not had any training for several years and to be honest he is messed about on a regular occasions and now they are treating it as serious issue and this is where we need some help on this they are moving it to a discipline stage and we would like some advice please thanks

Tony101@:
Guys
we have a driver who has driven without a Digi card for one day , yes i know its against the law but this guy have not had any training for several years and to be honest he is messed about on a regular occasions and now they are treating it as serious issue and this is where we need some help on this they are moving it to a discipline stage and we would like some advice please thanks

Did the driver do vehicle printouts at the start and end of the shift ?

If there wasn’t a good reason for driving without a driver card and/or the required printouts were not done then it is a serious matter.

Tony101@:
Guys

Hi Tony101@,

Not wishing to step on tachograph’s toes… :wink:

What does “driven without a Digi card” mean?

Did the guy actually have a digi-card, but didn’t use it? (Eg; he forgot it and left it at home?)
Was his digi-card broken or lost/stolen?
Or, he’s never had one at all?

Now from the firm’s point of view… did the person who gave him the instruction to drive the vehicle that day know that the guy didn’t have a digi-card?

I’m wondering this because the company might not be completely innocent in this episode.

From what you’ve written, it’s difficult to know the whole picture, but there may be other relevant factors such as the question already raised by tachograph.

dieseldave:

Tony101@:
Guys

Hi Tony101@,

Not wishing to step on tachograph’s toes… :wink:

What does “driven without a Digi card” mean?

Did the guy actually have a digi-card, but didn’t use it? (Eg; he forgot it and left it at home?)
Was his digi-card broken or lost/stolen?
Or, he’s never had one at all?

Now from the firm’s point of view… did the person who gave him the instruction to drive the vehicle that day know that the guy didn’t have a digi-card?

I’m wondering this because the company might not be completely innocent in this episode.

From what you’ve written, it’s difficult to know the whole picture, but there may be other relevant factors such as the question already raised by tachograph.

hi
the guy genuine forgot to put is card in , he is messed about and sent to different depots on a daily basis and the company is a complete shambles mate yes he genuine forgot to put the card in , we all make mistakes and we are not all perfect and now they want to disipline this guy , yet they have let 2 other guys of who have done the same which is completely wrong , i just wonder is it possible to get the day he drove and retrieve the data is this possible to do , we very much would like help on this matter , the management are constantly quoting Vosa and saying vosa will fine you very heavy sometimes i just think it might be worth speaking to Vosa because surely the management dont have to write use Vosa to scare the workforce i am sure vosa wouldn’t like there name used to scare drivers and unless i am wrong ?

Tony101@:
the guy genuine forgot to put is card in , he is messed about and sent to different depots on a daily basis and the company is a complete shambles mate yes he genuine forgot to put the card in , we all make mistakes and we are not all perfect and now they want to disipline this guy , yet they have let 2 other guys of who have done the same which is completely wrong , i just wonder is it possible to get the day he drove and retrieve the data is this possible to do , we very much would like help on this matter , the management are constantly quoting Vosa and saying vosa will fine you very heavy sometimes i just think it might be worth speaking to Vosa because surely the management dont have to write use Vosa to scare the workforce i am sure vosa wouldn’t like there name used to scare drivers and unless i am wrong ?

The problem is mate that if you forget to put your driver card in the tachograph flashes a warning “Driving without card”, I’ve started driving without putting the card in on more than one occasion but never even got as far as the gate, the warning will start flashing within seconds of the vehicle moving.
Ad to that I’m struggling to understand how the driver could have put the tachograph on break without noticing the warning flashing at him :confused:

You’re right we all make mistakes, I’ve probably made every mistake in the book and invented a few that no-one else had ever thought of :blush:, but driving all day without a driver card is a serious mistake to make, I’d have to say that it’s probably quite a hard mistake to make to.

AS far as speaking to VOSA is concerned, be aware that the driver could find himself having tea and biscuits with the TC if the DVSA found out about this, only there wouldn’t be any biscuits or tea :frowning:

You said in your first post that “they are treating it as serious issue”, that’s because as far as the drivers regulations are concerned it is a serious offence that could see the driver in trouble with the DVSA, and the company could also find themselves in trouble if they let this sort of offence go.

Anyway, to get the data he needs to do a vehicle printout, the driver can get to vehicle printout from the tachograph menu and selecting the date he wants the printout for, if you tell us the make of the tachograph we’ll be able to give more precise details of how to do the printout.

Be aware though that doing a vehicle printout will not negate the offence of driving for a day without using the driver card.