Weekly rest query

Hi Folks,

Hope some of the more knowledgeable people on here can help.

Basically last night was my 6th shift in a row, and on the way home about 2 hours from base the wagon packs in. Anyway long story short i dont make it home and run out of working time (hit my 13 (had used all reduced dailys earlier in week)), So put a halt to proceedings, park up before the clock runs out, put it on rest, remove card and spend night in the wagon (saved on a BnB). Then in morning i abandoned the truck where it was (they had a driver to come collect it) and made my own way home in a private car to continue my weekly rest.

Next shift not until Wednesday so total 50 hours rest in between.

Issue is company are saying i have to start a shift where i have finished it, which i am pretty sure is not correct, but just need confirmation on this?

Thanks in advance.

Legally any time spent travelling to or from the vehicle is counted as other work, as you cannot have the time counted as other work because you’ve already run out of hours you cannot legally be recovered back to base or home.

However, obviously you’re free to do what you want in your own time and that includes going home for the weekend, but if you was to go straight to base after the weekly rest period the travelling home from the vehicle would have to be counted as other work.

So technically your company are correct to say that you have to start the next shift where you finished the last one, however in the real world no-one’s going to know where you start the next shift and unless you travelled a great distance to get home I doubt anyone would really care.

Just out of curiosity, how far did you travel home ?

What was the exact day and time you finished the previous weekly rest/started your first of 6 shifts :question:

What was the day and time you finished the 11 hour rest after the 6th shift :question:

I think I know what tachograph is getting at … could be wrong :question:
Start weekly rest away from home/base at point (A) then drive privately to home/base at point (B) which takes 1 hour for example

After 50 hours rest you start a new shift BUT do a manual entry for 1 hour prior to that shift to cover the 1 hour travel time from (A) to (B) = very naughty :wink:

What a ridiculous set of regulations we have to live by, totally sick of it now, time to jack it all in and go back to working in aviation. Having to count unpaid hours when a family member comes and picks me up, what a load of rubbish.

Journey was 2 hours ish to home in a car i wasn’t driving. Started 1st shift Tue 17/1 at 11:45am, finished 11hr rest after 6th on 22nd/1 12:45pm so guess that’s the job knackered.

So its legal to leave a driver in a cab on an industrial estate miles form anywhere with no water, food or toilets for a reduced weekly but not for him to go home in his own car with a family member driving, go figure that one.

Im done with this crap, crap companies, poor conditions, DVSA after you and all for a magical couple of bob over min wage (if your lucky). Add another young(ish) driver to the growing list of those with licences who wont work in the trade.

hamletbarnard:
Journey was 2 hours ish to home in a car i wasn’t driving. Started 1st shift Tue 17/1 at 11:45am, finished 11hr rest after 6th on 22nd/1 12:45pm so guess that’s the job knackered.

17/1 at 1145 to 22/1 at 1245 is only 121 hours so still 23 hours until a weekly rest has to be started

If the above is correct from what I am reading then you could have gone to a B&B at the companies expense for 11 hours then travelled the 2 hours afterwards ■■?

ROG:

hamletbarnard:

17/1 at 1145 to 22/1 at 1245 is only 121 hours so still 23 hours until a weekly rest has to be started

If the above is correct from what I am reading then you could have gone to a B&B at the companies expense for 11 hours then travelled the 2 hours afterwards ■■?

Sorry meant until 23/1 12:45 so will be 1 hour over?

hamletbarnard:

ROG:

hamletbarnard:

Sorry meant until 23/1 12:45 so will be 1 hour over?

Yes it would be

Regarding traveling to or from the wagon