London's Safer Lorry Scheme Query

Hi All,

I’m just looking for some clarification. I am due to have a re-audit for FORS in Jan. Looking at the new requirements for bronze all vehicles over 3.5t need to comply with the new ‘safer lorry scheme’ introduced to London in Sept 15. Our lorry is not an issue as it well exceeds the requirements. I have a query about our 3.5t ford transit pickup. Will it require side rails to be fitted? I’ve tried to research this and cannot find a definitive answer. I know the transit panel van is excluded but cannot find confirmation on the pickup. I’m leaning towards it will need them but does anyone know for definite as our van is now 10 years old and may be better to look at replacing it rather than retro fitting bars. With the audit in Jan time is of the essence on this one.

It’s a frustrating scenario as the van never goes to London but as FORS audit your whole fleet at the operating centre rather than the relevant vehicles that do i will need to make sure the van complies as well.

If your transit is not 3.5t then the 3.5t and above rules should not apply to it.

m1cks:
If your transit is not 3.5t then the 3.5t and above rules should not apply to it.

Thanks,

I also contacted FORS direct with the same question. They confirmed what you said as our transit is 3.5 fully laden rather than the van weighing over 3.5 ton then this does not apply.