Multi manning - part run

Hi

i’m looking for advice and proof on something:

ME and another driver have been asked to move a load from our yard to an event. Once at the event, i am to stay with the equipment for the week and the other driver is to return the vehicle back to our yard. this trip is to happen on the same day with no scope for a daily rest. the trip from our yard to the drop point is about 4 hours and both drivers will be present. the return journey is again 4 hours but will only have one driver. the contract agreement for the load is that i have to drive the truck whilst it is loaded with the multi-million £££ equipment onboard from the yard to the drop point, and then the other driver will return solo empty back to the yard. so the other driver will need to be present for the outbound trip in order to be at the drop to then drive the truck back.

I know this wont fall under double man rules as the MM rules state both drivers have to be present for the whole duty time, so both need to be together from yard to drop and back to yard. which isn’t whats available to us on the trip.

there is no scope for the other driver to do the whole driving as the agreement states i have to drive outbound and the other driver can return solo/empty.

is this a legal trip, if so, does anyone have proof/documentation to show this as right now the other driver wont do the trip as he says its illegal. we have no other driver to do the trip so getting someone who is more happier to do the job isnt an option.

thanks in advance for your help.

How long will unload take .?
Sound like he’s just whinging ,
He’s got 15 hours 10 hours driving

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unload will take about an hour.
he probably is but i want to make sure the trip is infact legal so then he cant whine and has to do the job
the whole job will be less than 15 hours and 10 hour drive

his concern is the fact that the first 4 hours of me driving will be classed as other work as he is in the vehicle with intention to drive later on so is insistant it comes under double man rules and therefore i have to return to the yard with him.

pish…just get on with it…once your there,then he can go off duty if its an all day/all night unloading session…if its only a cp hours unloading,then hes at it.and i think you dont need to lift the 2nd man up to 1 hour after starting your own shift it that helps?. just sounds like a workshy plobber

So if I understand you right he’s got 10 hours to do a 4 hour drive
4 hour other work
1 hour unload
Then 30 wt break
Hit the road and have another 30 2 hours in
You hourly or salaried ?

Sounds like he’s not a confident driver or is jealous you’ve got the weeks stay

blue estate:
So if I understand you right he’s got 10 hours to do a 4 hour drive
4 hour other work
1 hour unload
Then 30 wt break
Hit the road and have another 30 2 hours in
You hourly or salaried ?

The hours work, thats not the issue, the other driver is kicking off over the fact while he is in the passenger seat, his card must be in the head. slot 2. which makes the outbound trip double manned. meaning under double man rules, both drivers must stay together for the whole duty, meaning i would have to be in the vehicle for the return trip also which puts issues on me staying at the drop.

we are salary so get paid for a day regardless…

blue estate:

he has got 10+ years driving and has done this trip before. only now he has kicked off.

i dont see why he is fussed, he can do the 16 hour days of manual work for the week if he wants, but he wont.

Craig.rome:

blue estate:

he has got 10+ years driving and has done this trip before. only now he has kicked off.

i dont see why he is fussed, he can do the 16 hour days of manual work for the week if he wants, but he wont.

Green eyed monster then [emoji6]

A driver can be classed as MM as long as, apart from the first hour, there is always a second driver using slot 2 when the vehicle is being driven

There can be driver 1 only under MM with drivers 2 3 and 4 filling the driver 2 slot at any time driver 1 is driving

blue estate:

Craig.rome:

blue estate:

Green eyed monster then [emoji6]

cant see why green eyed, i would start 0600 monday and run to 2100 that might where as he would only do 0600 to 1800 max then back to his normal day run of 0600 to 1800 tues, wed, thurs, fri where as i would be doing 0600 - 2100 tuesday, wed, thurs, fri, sat and sun (i do get rest breaks and lots of time and places to kip/nap with free food and drink 24/7 for the whole event)

Craig.rome:
The hours work, thats not the issue, the other driver is kicking off over the fact while he is in the passenger seat, his card must be in the head. slot 2. which makes the outbound trip double manned. meaning under double man rules, both drivers must stay together for the whole duty, meaning i would have to be in the vehicle for the return trip also which puts issues on me staying at the drop.

As long as he can do it within the hours for a single manned journey, which he can, there’s nothing to stop the other driver returning to base on his own.

Being double manned on the outbound journey but single manned on the return journey simply means that he cannot take advantage of the daily rest concession for multi-manned journeys, but that’s not a problem for you anyway so crack on.

Craig.rome:
he probably is but i want to make sure the trip is infact legal so then he cant whine and has to do the job

his concern is the fact that the first 4 hours of me driving will be classed as other work as he is in the vehicle with intention to drive later on so is insistant it comes under double man rules and therefore i have to return to the yard with him.

As you will only be driving that shift when driver 2 is in the cab then you are under MM rules

Driver 2 is not under MM rules for the shift as he will be driving back without another driver using slot 2 so he could claim a split daily rest of 3 + 9 along with a 10 hours driving day if he has one available
The 3 hours not driving in the cab would need to be manually done

Perfectly legal. His first 45 minutes in slot 2 is counted as break. As long as he doesn’t go over 15 hours (if a reduced rest is available) then there’s no problem.

ROG:

Craig.rome:

As you will only be driving that shift when driver 2 is in the cab then you are under MM rules

Driver 2 is not under MM rules for the shift as he will be driving back without another driver using slot 2 so he could claim a split daily rest of 3 + 9 along with a 10 hours driving day if he has one available
The 3 hours not driving in the cab would need to be manually done

I know this trip is done and dusted! But i don’t see what you’re in about with the split daily rest, do you mean the time spent as a passenger? As that can’t be used for a rest period as you can’t take a rest period in a moving truck